• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Donnie's Short Season Grow 2017

Finally, I have something to show. :party:  I am working mostly on my crosses, top priority has been developing cold hardier varieties, since I am not able to grow chinense plants at all outside due to low temperatures. This summer has been historically cold, we only had 1 so-called "summer day" in July with temperatures above 25 degress Celsius (77 degr. Fahrenheit), it's been in the range with max. temps of 18-22 C. (64-72 F.)
I started my breeding with the Naga Morich, which I crossed with an early flowering dwarf Pequin variety called Pequin da Ischia, this year I have 5 plants in the F7 generation, last year all 4 plants looked identical, so it seems stabilized. The plants started flowering about 6-7 weeks ago, by comparison most of my chinense varieties started a couple of weeks ago, MA Wartryx just began... I expect ripe pods in 2-3 weeks.
The "Nagaquin F7" (Naga Morich x Pequin da Ischia):
eSAxn4P.jpg

Vp2eYyZ.jpg

I have other crosses too and have crossed my best selections to get something special and at the same time more grow friendly for my cold climate. I love the cluster varieties and I am trying to develop some early, dark leaved varieties with chinense aromas. I have selected 4 plants till now this year from the following cross, which involves 7 different varieties, it is at what you could call "F2-stage" between an F2 and an F3 selection:
((Sarit Gat x Black Pearl) F2 x (Aribibi Gusano x Pimenta Morango) F3) F3 Cluster Selection
crossed with
(Naga Morich x Pequin da Ischia) F3 x (Thunder Mountain Longhorn) F2 Chinense Aroma Selection
First one is special: very compact, never made any branching but has extremely many pods coming from the top (as you may be able to see there were even more, but I used a lot of flowers for collecting pollen and till now unsuccesfully tried to bag flowers)
jJyoNSy.jpg

4OrybRJ.jpg

No. 2 also has many pods set at branching point, but it did branch out, you can see two black stems in the background, I removed two others due to lack of growing space in front of the plant.
KIrAI3i.jpg

UgMT68V.jpg

No. 3 was very early with blackish leaves and umbrella branching. It went through a long and beautiful ripening pattern to orange. It is very hot and has Naga Morich-like aroma
InWqD8M.jpg

XR3HoI7.jpg

No. 4 seems to be what I was looking for originally and the reason why I included Thunder Mountain Longhorn in the cross - but does it have the aroma I am after? Time will tell...
ZoVCIKe.jpg

nToStwR.jpg

An F4 cluster type developing nicely...
DyORPFE.jpg

A very promising cluster type - large clusters and umbrella branching plus it keeps developing flowers from 1st node.
KikF3wC.jpg

by5AoTM.jpg

19axQjz.jpg

Ripe Nagaquin F7
IJKla1o.jpg

ASe5akv.jpg

Another very compact cluster variety
RXJBbno.jpg

arDskt6.jpg

AndyW said:
There are some weird leaves for a pepper on #2. Anyway, really cool crosses.

Yes, they really are different - I'm hoping to preserve it through the stabilization process...

Bhuter said:
They all look amazingly! I love the orange pods of No.3. I can almost smell them from here. Great cluster work!
Thank you, they are very aromatic and the pods have a special glow.

My cross Goat's Weed x Orange Thai has been showing same characteristics for a few years, this years is F8, so may be considered stabile...
KmbQlgl.jpg

15KEUMc.jpg

Plants of another cross at the F5 and F6 stage - "Piribibi Purple Umbrella" initial cross was Aribibi Gusano x Pimenta Morango which gives it chinense flavors and the clustering gene, umbrella branching.
sj52TuO.jpg

R9gHlrt.jpg

Kfevciv.jpg

Some very unusual looking crosses. You have done a great job in keeping up with the crosses and stablizing them.

Which ones of these are more tasty? Thanks for updating the glog.

Like I said in the other topic, very nice job. I would love to see more of your work. I am trying to get some crosses setup myself and am in a similar though slightly warmer climate. Do you grow inside during the off season, or do you grow one generation per season?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I8200N met Tapatalk

qandeel said:
Some very unusual looking crosses. You have done a great job in keeping up with the crosses and stablizing them.

Which ones of these are more tasty? Thanks for updating the glog.
Thanks. I prefer the cluster variety, it is quite sweet and very aromatic, heat is around 8/9 I would guess...

b3rnd said:
Like I said in the other topic, very nice job. I would love to see more of your work. I am trying to get some crosses setup myself and am in a similar though slightly warmer climate. Do you grow inside during the off season, or do you grow one generation per season?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I8200N met Tapatalk
Thank you... I only grow one generation per season, not a big fan of artificial lighting. Yes, your climate is better suited to growing peppers, have you grown chinense varieties outside with success?

Back