• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BLACK PEARL W GREENLEAVES!?

Heyy guys The.Shag over here with another question... you folks were to helpful with the other 2 I figured I`d try for a 3rd... haha.

Soooo my question is about my Black Pearl Pepper

What a beautiful plant... deep purple leaves with bright red bite size AND hot peppers?!?!?! YEssssss so much yesssss. lol

However the beautiful purple leaves of my Black Pearl Plant have gone slightly green.... does anyone know what could have cause this?!?!

The plant itself seems fine, I just miss those deep purple leaves... they are so cool haha.

I just read online it might have something to do with how much sun my Pearl is getting.. Less sun = less green, or so some folks are saying online.. My Pearl definitely doesn`t get a full 12 hours of sun.. maybe more like 6-8 hours range.

Yaaa I think its the sun think sir edmick.. not quite enough sun in my garden.. haha.. gotta do what I gotta do with the space I got tho... haha

the Black Pearl plants ive always grown have green on the newest growth, but it quickly becomes very dark, even under artificial lighting indoors 
pXuOqSd.jpg

indoors the whole time

fBZGDzk.jpg

Outdoors

DmvUys8.jpg

Outdoors black leaves are even darker and more glossy, but newest growth starts green

5JwmxEy.jpg

Ripe pods

Purple colouration is the chilli equivalent of a sun tan, protecting the plant from excess UV. "Purple" varieties just produce it at a much lower level. They do, however, still need a fair bit of sun to produce the colour.

Gorizza said:

I think you got it backwards. Less sun = less purple. The green is actually consistent but masked by the anthocyanin produced in response to light
haha whoops ya I meant what you typed out. more sun more purple haha

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
the Black Pearl plants ive always grown have green on the newest growth, but it quickly becomes very dark, even under artificial lighting indoors 
pXuOqSd.jpg

indoors the whole time

fBZGDzk.jpg

Outdoors

DmvUys8.jpg

Outdoors black leaves are even darker and more glossy, but newest growth starts green

5JwmxEy.jpg

Ripe pods
OMG I love that dark color wow!!!! Ya that`s why I originally purchased this type of pepper. So unique. I have harvested some ripe pods but just about my entire plant is that greenish color of your new growth.. I think more sun is the solution so transplant I shall! lol

The.Shag.Gardens said:
OMG I love that dark color wow!!!! Ya that`s why I originally purchased this type of pepper. So unique. I have harvested some ripe pods but just about my entire plant is that greenish color of your new growth.. I think more sun is the solution so transplant I shall! lol
i save a few seeds for myself each year, but if you'd like, i'll save a couple pods more and you can have some seeds from this plant.
i believe it to be the 'correct' phenotype for Black Pearl 
i too really like growing this pepper plant for multiple reasons; mainly its beautiful foliage, but also, it stays compact, and produces well, and for an ornamental the ripe Red pods taste great  :)

I am also growing several others that could be considered ornamental imo 

I'm not exactly great at maintaining my Glog  (some gaps :lol: ) but you can see some other great Dark foliage plants i'm growing and working with here;
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64878-gips-2017-oh-hail-no-glog/

:cheers:

Gorizza said:
Black Pearl is a great variety, it won an AAS in I think 2016 or 2017
2006  I think 

but did you see the AAS winner this year ?

Onyx Red

CapsicumTF802-1-433x650.jpg

copypasta:

Onyx Red is one of those stunning double-take plants that steal the show! This breeding work has resulted in an unprecedented compact, well-branched ornamental pepper adorned with eye-catching dark black foliage. The contrast between the diminutive black foliage and tons of shiny red fruits is striking and makes a bold statement in the garden. Plants are vigorous, continually growing but retain their neat, compact habit, making Onyx Red a wonderful plant for beds, borders, containers and dramatic mass plantings.

2006  I think 

but did you see the AAS winner this year ?

Onyx Red

CapsicumTF802-1-433x650.jpg

copypasta:

Onyx Red is one of those stunning double-take plants that steal the show! This breeding work has resulted in an unprecedented compact, well-branched ornamental pepper adorned with eye-catching dark black foliage. The contrast between the diminutive black foliage and tons of shiny red fruits is striking and makes a bold statement in the garden. Plants are vigorous, continually growing but retain their neat, compact habit, making Onyx Red a wonderful plant for beds, borders, containers and dramatic mass plantings.

Good catch! yeah Onyx looks like a really neat pepper! I did a thread a week or two about recent AAS winners: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/65178-20172018-aas-winners/

i save a few seeds for myself each year, but if you'd like, i'll save a couple pods more and you can have some seeds from this plant.
i believe it to be the 'correct' phenotype for Black Pearl 
i too really like growing this pepper plant for multiple reasons; mainly its beautiful foliage, but also, it stays compact, and produces well, and for an ornamental the ripe Red pods taste great  :)

I am also growing several others that could be considered ornamental imo 

I'm not exactly great at maintaining my Glog  (some gaps :lol: ) but you can see some other great Dark foliage plants i'm growing and working with here;
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64878-gips-2017-oh-hail-no-glog/

:cheers:

Dude you are AWESOME!!!! I`d lovvveeee some seeds, especially since I`m also messing around with indoor rowing and would be able to testout one of those bad boys almost imediately.

Message me on here and Ill give you shipping info:). The dark foliage is great I love the lookso unique, and the flavor is all the right flavor with just about all the right spicy kick haha. I also think it`s funny that there are just sooooo many different cross-breeds out there sometimes you just dont get the full monty.. haha

Back