• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

[Jul 31] What are you working on this week?

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
August is here! Let's see some harvest pis!

The heat this year has been brutal so I picked up a 10x10 shade tent as Dick's for 1/2 price only $49.99. My Avocado Trees are under it as the 100 plus weather was burning allot of the leaves on them. I also transplanted 4 trees into 1/2 wine barrels. I mixed up some 5.1.1 mix for the transplanted trees.

Weak fish and kelp fertilize...DONE....ugh its hot
Picked peppers today...DONE
bpNxlDS.jpg

Toss the country style ribs on the smoker....Decided just to go with apple wood because all the mulberry are large "pucks".

I use a LG 32" TV i retired and replaced with a Samsung. The LG wasn't "Smart" but works great as a PC monitor. I don't even need speakers with it because audio goes over the HDMI video connection. :D

I am actually doing something exciting this month.  I am planting seeds.  Theory is, they will come indoors before first frost.  Then I will use the grow room to keep them alive till normal winter seed starts (Decemberish) decrease the indoor space.  If I time it right, will have some sort of outdoor but heated solution by the time they have to go outside to make room.  Our winters have been so mild, that I think I can pull it off economically by building something more like a huge cold frame.  Less space to heat means less money.  Winters are mild enough that I think I can open them up for maintenance / watering on the warm days.

Fingers crossed because this early in the harvest, I dont have the finances to build the thing.  Could be wasting my time, but kind of used to that.  Cant win if you dont play.

AJ,  

Last season I went straight from pods into soil and was completely surprised by my results.  I planted 20 seeds in 10 small planters, left them in the 50% sun in Aug and 17 of the 20 sprouted.  It might be worth noting that the 3 that did not sprout were superhot varieties but non the less it was an interesting experiment.  I chose seeds from very to almost overripe pods.  Just my $0.02.  Good luck with your project.

Back