Hi there..

.., I am pleased to have a chance to insight into the community of growers! As a project manager of first emerging aquaponics here in CEE countries I would like to gain knowledge concerning chilli growing within such system and compare options for this favourable crop. In SE Asia I have prevented sort of diseases via eating chillies on ordinary basis I believe.. This is great for many body functions and I would like to advocate the growing of chillies here in temperate climate following idea of local production and consumption...

Welcome to THP and a huge welcome to my list of folk to talk to about aquaponics.  Very few I have found here.  I think it is because thus far, what I get from those who tried is that while flavor remains, the heat of peppers grown in aquaponics tends to be watered down.  My guess is that maybe when moisuture is readily available, the plant puts less energy into producing the placenta where most of the heat is.

My business is tiny compared to what I imagine you are up to.  It is almost entirely centered on growing peppers these days.  But I am in love with growing just about anything and keenly interested in sustainable ways to grow food.  As I can justify the expense, am working on moving towards aquaponics for food production.  Personal at first, but kind of research for potentially going back to selling general produce.  I -think- being able to offer organic produce year round might be profitable even on the small scale that our farm puts out.  So working with ideas about sunken earth greenhouses and the likes.  Currently trying to think of ways to address the moisture / humidity challenge without electricity.

Sorry to ramble.  Just very excited to see you mention aquaponics and climate change on your first post.  Very excited to read your posts and participate in your conversations.

Back