• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

End Rot on Anaheim, Bells and tomatoes

Greetings All !

So the Anaheim isn't exactly a HOT... but is is a pepper so I continue.  

These plants are in an outdoor garden that is covered with a tunnel of green house plastic. The tunnel doesn't extend to the ground and allows plenty of air flow in and under the tunnel. Daytime temps have been ranging between  70 and 95 F (average is in the low to mid 80's). Night ranges from 60 to low 70's). I water with city(tap) that is considered very hard( I do not treat this water). I give mild ferts every two weeks or so. The soil is OMRI listed compost(Home Depot Kellogg's Farm Raised Bed) but this is the first year with this new soil. I water when the a few plants look like they need water... but I tend to water all the plants at that time. 

I have added Cal-Mag twice this year, but I'm still getting BER on some of my mature fruit. I've looked up the causes for BER and eliminated (or so I think) a few (over watering after drought, nitrogen...etc).

My question is this.  Is it ever TOO LATE to add calcium ?  In other words, will the young fruit I have hanging on the plants be saved by adding even more calcium ?

In addition, when I added the Cal-Mag (for Hydro) it wasn't at full strength.  I added it just after a normal watering at about 50% of the recommended concentration.

The BER isn't on every fruit yet, but it's been on enough of the mature fruit to have me concerned.

Thanks for the advise.

Jeff

I know they say solid forums of calcium products like bone meal take to long to break down.

I personally use herculean harvest by Nectar of the Gods bi weekly to stave off blood om end rot in containers.

I was wondering the same thing... Some of my plants have this issue while others definitely don't. I'm trying to get my Calcium strategy locked down for my 2018 growing season. Disappointing and kinda weird that it only happened to a couple of my peppers but most of my tomatoes..

alkhall said:
I'm definitely looking into that product; unfortunately, I grow at a Community Garden where that product doesn't meet their quasi-organic standards. Of course, it's my beds at the community garden where I'm seeing the BER. My plants at home are in soil I mixed up, and included pelletized lime and gypsum. So far, so good with those plants. . .

Bicycle808 said:
I'm definitely looking into that product; unfortunately, I grow at a Community Garden where that product doesn't meet their quasi-organic standards. Of course, it's my beds at the community garden where I'm seeing the BER. My plants at home are in soil I mixed up, and included pelletized lime and gypsum. So far, so good with those plants. . .
The catch-22 for you here is that most organic fertilizers take much longer to add any benefit, but you need the benefit right away, but you need organic, but you need to the benefit right away... I'll stop there.

What's the standard of theirs in particular that CAL-MAG doesn't meet?

My plan this year is to just ride it out. Most plants are not suffering from BER and those that are, it seems to help if I kinda "wipe the azz" of the new pods right when they begin to form; the blossoms petals turn brown and stick to the bottom of the pod. I'm guessing that the Calcium helps that she's on its own, as n plants at home lose the petals immediately.

Generally, the Community Garden wants organic-approved stuff, and brotherman said CalMag contains mined substances, etc. Part of me figures that no one is ever up there so I could "get away with it" if I dosed them any way, but I like to keep it honest. Most plants, aside from the tomatoes, are not affected, so I'm focusing my efforts on building good organic soil for next year. I'll probably F with egg shells and bone meal week in advance of planting out

My plan this year is to just ride it out. Most plants are not suffering from BER and those that are, it seems to help if I kinda "wipe the azz" of the new pods right when they begin to form; the blossoms petals turn brown and stick to the bottom of the pod. I'm guessing that the Calcium helps that she's on its own, as n plants at home lose the petals immediately.

Generally, the Community Garden wants organic-approved stuff, and brotherman said CalMag contains mined substances, etc. Part of me figures that no one is ever up there so I could "get away with it" if I dosed them any way, but I like to keep it honest. Most plants, aside from the tomatoes, are not affected, so I'm focusing my efforts on building good organic soil for next year. I'll probably F with egg shells and bone meal week in advance of planting out

Back