Fermenting in Oak Barrels

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question (as it may branch out into a few more questions), but has anyone fermented a hot sauce in oak barrels for a little extra flavor?  Maybe something like this? 
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VO3DNLK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IWUQV66U2QJGN&colid=1DIT7OPDYYK9

Would something like this be effective for sauces?  I've read some discussions about air locks and have just gotten more confused.  Also, would I have to keep the barrel in a refrigerated area, or can it be in a room temperature of slightly below zone?

Thoughts?  Links?  

It doesn't do much to the flavor like it does with spirits, maybe you can use a barrel-aged spirit in your hot sauce, and cook off the alcohol to better effect. Tabasco is aged 3 years in oak. IMO it is not oakey. However, I don't think they use used barrels, if you want flavor, better get a used wine or whiskey barrel.

Perhaps only high alcohol levels can extract the essence from the woods. My palate is certainly not sof enough to get any wood extracts in pepper sauces. Always thought it was a novelty outside of wine and spirits. Cheers!

Back