• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What peppers must be in your grow list? (divided per species)

Hi guys! I know it's impossible to find a favourite pepper, because each year you can find new varieties that are so good, making the decision almost impossible!
Narrowing down, dividing into species, and also filtering per heat level in some cases, what are the pepper varieties that MUST be every year in your grow list? :)

Feel free to comment on the reasons that led you to choose that particular variety over another, you obviously can have multiple choices and don't have to fill all the spaces (for example, I've never grown Frutescens or Wild, so I'll leave those blank).

For Chinenses and Annuums, as they are the most common among growers, I'll categorize per heat too.
Just for fun of us, pepper nerds! ;)

Here's my List:

CHINENSE:
  • Superhot: 7 Pot Primo
  • Hot: Fatalii
  • Mild/Sweet: Aji Dulce Amarillo/Aji Jobito
ANNUUM:
  • Very Hot: Thai Orange
  • Hot: Bulgarian Carrot
  • Mild / Sweet: Shishito/Aleppo
PUBESCENS:
  • Rocoto Guatemalan Orange
BACCATUM:
  • Aji Habanero
FRUTESCENS and WILD: never had them

Really curious to know your favourites, maybe finding new varieties to add to my list! Post pics if ypu want too, It's always nice to see some peppers!

Hope you'll have fun and enjoy the topic!

Cheers!

Roberto

Chinense:

Super hot: Peach Ghost PL SS.. absolute favourite tasting chilli, addictive and super hot.
Hot: P. Dreadie SB SS.. amazing flavour and perfect heat.
Mild: Aji Jobito.. once they go orangish these are awesome and have zero heat so my wife can enjoy also.

Baccatum:

Medium/mild: Aji Pineapple.. not that hot but seriously great tropical flavour.

Anuum:
Bell peppers/capsicums.. because they end up in most things I cook.

Honourable mentions go to Nagabrains which is just great for savoury foods and choc habs which are fantastic with actual chocolate.

OK, I'll play  :)

Chinense

Superhot:

• Yellow Brain Strain
       Absolutely mandatory! The best examples I have tried had a wonderful fruity flavor, with zero floral or other "off" flavors, and slow-building but extremely high heat. The slow build allows you to really appreciate the great flavor before the heat clobbers you.  :)  I am actually growing plants from 4 different seed sources this year in an ongoing quest to find the best genetics for it that I can. Yeah, it's that important.

Hot:

• Carbonero
  • CGN19211 (the "chinense Lemon Drop")
  • Paper Lantern Hab
       Three of the best tasting peppers that I have tried in the Habanero heat range. They all have a "smoother" burn than most habs as well. 

Baccatum

Mild:

• Aji Habanero
  • Aji Fantasy
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Sugar Rush Peach
      Four very tasty peppers of the sweet and mild persuasion. Aji Fantasy has also been a particularly productive variety so far this year.

Pubescens isn't on my list because I have never tried one. I just haven't been able to get them to set fruit in my climate yet. Maybe this year it will finally happen... :pray:

Annuum, Frutescens and Wild: I've had some pretty good ones, but none that were so great that I felt like I simply must include them in my grow every year. 

I don't actually know what it's called. It's definitely a chinense, but I got seeds from it at school and it's not identified. Incredibly sweet though, not hot at all until you get to the top of the pepper.

CHINENSE:
  • Superhot: 7 Pot Jonah, Peach Bhuts, Sunrise Scorpion 
  • Hot: Carbonero, MOA Scotch Bonnets
ANNUUM:
  • Very Hot: Thai Orange
  • Mild / Sweet: Monkeyface, Large Orange Thai

I am not to difficult to please, I am a chinense guy at heart so I like a variety of 7 Pots, Bhuts, and Scorpions.  I also must have a variety of Habanero's, just any in that family really.

To round it out I grow a variety of Annuums as that is what I basically started with first growing peppers, but my favorite are the Large Orange Thai and Monkeyface has really impressed me this year.  great tasting pepper

Excellent question. Some day I'll be lucid enough to answer it completely. For now, all I know is I'll have to include some sort of yellow Scotch Bonnet, as those are the chiles that for me hype to grow. Other than by that, I'm not really too committed. I still want to run around and saw other peppers.

Back