• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Pepper Plants and Nyctinasty (Too Much Sun?)

So I recently discovered my young pepperoncinis exhibitin nyctinasty (leaves close at night and open back up in the morning). However the past few days, I've noticed the small plants begin to close up about 2-4hrs before my grow tent's "night" period (I run a 16/6 cycle).

This leads me to wonder...
Are these little guys telling me they're getting too much sun? Are they attempting to limit the amount of absorbed light? Are the plants they descended from used to shorter days? Is this simply a benign reaction?

I'd love to hear some opinions from the more experienced growers around here.

Do you have any pics? A picture tells a thousand words in this hobby.

thegreenman said:
Could be a function of circadian rhythm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Exactly what I was suspecting, however the strange thing is that they begin folding up several hours before "night time".

squeakygreens said:
Exactly what I was suspecting, however the strange thing is that they begin folding up several hours before "night time".
This study is somewhat related. It appears plants can "predict" cycle changes and adjust prior to a day-night cycle event.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

My outdoors usually start to droop a little like most do at night about an hour or two from sundown. I think it lowers transpiration so they don't lose much water during nighttime, no big deal. 

Back