• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Origin of Peach Bhut Jolokia

Just wandering how the Peach Bhut came to be?

It's flavour profile is totally different (fruity/tropical to me) to the red or caramel (the only other two I have tried and tasted the same as each other to me). In my experience though it certainly keeps up with heat.

It seems to be quite stable with a handful of different strains but I would love to know where it came from. Is it a cross? A natural variation of another colour? Landrace?

Pretty amazing chilli IMO but not discussed often.

Yes I have read a number of descriptions that just say 'natural variant of the red ghost'. However this could simply mean that the author does not know where it came from.

What surprises me is just how much different the Peach is from the red, I mean the flavour in nothing alike and the shape and texture are quite different too. Makes it hard for me to believe that a peach simply popped up amongst reds..

Thanks guys. I have sent Ajijoe a pm asking if he has any info but I don't know if he's still an active member or not. Looked up meadow view farms and that site doesn't say anything about chillies.

Yeah I wanna know it's a cross or just popped up..

You know how the defense department is working on those facial recognition programs I wonder if the same tech can be applied to peppers. I think it works by a micro grid analysis much like fingerprinting. I think I might have made micro grid analysis up just a second ago...It certainly would be cool to get to the bottom of this interesting topic. Thanks for sharing!

I am pretty sure Jay created it and it was not random, I can ask Joe since we chat on FB. I know he shared tons of seeds and was a huge part of their chili growth. I think I have been growing the Jay's stuff for 5 to 7  years. I remember posting the first picture on here and everyone was like WTF is that, back when the Ghost reigned king. 

I'll hit him up as ask

Way back in 2012 for the original.

52059_482866008413797_686661994_o.jpg

1167554_638677676165962_2068656838_o.jpg

Thanks for the info JoynersHotPeppers, I hadn't even thought of the JPGS strain!

I grew the Pepperlover Peach Ghost Select so this is what got me wandering about the history. Is it possible that all peach ghosts are descended from the JPGS??

Jase4224 said:
Thanks for the info JoynersHotPeppers, I hadn't even thought of the JPGS strain!

I grew the Pepperlover Peach Ghost Select so this is what got me wandering about the history. Is it possible that all peach ghosts are descended from the JPGS??
I misread the original post, disregard all my ranting over the Ghost Scorpion 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Crap, sorry I misread the topic. You are talking about Peach Ghost :)

I blame my ability to no comprehend or read lol....carry on 
Haha all good I still learned something!

Just makes me more curious though.. where is the Peach ghost from????! If it does descend from the JPGS that would explain the major difference in flavour between the red and Peach ghosts.

The red has much more heat and I find the peach to have more floral notes. I grew the peach for a few years then eliminated it since I have really cut back on supers. 

Back