• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The KAOS Bonchi - It's a Ghost

Hey all

Thought I'd try my hand at a Bonchi while I overwintered some of my more productive plants.

Only a few photos, but it's a start and any tips greatly appreciated.

15th June - Host Plant

aa0615.jpg

06th July - The Big Cut

aa0706.jpg

08th August - Progress to Date

aa0808a.jpg

aa0808b.jpg

aa0808c.jpg

I haven't planned on anything specific yet, rather just winging it and letting nature do it's thing.
The plant itself seems happy enough and is already starting to throw some flowers out.

Thanks for dropping in and don't forget to critique please

KAOS said:
Hey all

Thought I'd try my hand at a Bonchi while I overwintered some of my more productive plants.

Only a few photos, but it's a start and any tips greatly appreciated.

15th June - Host Plant

aa0615.jpg

06th July - The Big Cut

aa0706.jpg

08th August - Progress to Date

aa0808a.jpg

aa0808b.jpg

aa0808c.jpg

I haven't planned on anything specific yet, rather just winging it and letting nature do it's thing.
The plant itself seems happy enough and is already starting to throw some flowers out.

Thanks for dropping in and don't forget to critique please
Looks fantastic!!! I was reading this last night. Lots of info here

http://fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

a.d.proctor21 said:
Looks fantastic!!! I was reading this last night. Lots of info here

http://fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex. I also got the idea from fatalii ... and the nerve to butcher a perfectly good plant roots and all.

dragonsfire said:
Looking Great !

Thanks Neil.

Long way to go though and not sure on what to do next. Cut off big leaves, nip off flowers, trim roots, etc. :think:

These bonchi are truly quite fascinating to grow.
I have managed to get the plant into a routine of pushing out smaller and smaller leaves.
It's also throwing out buds all over the place with a couple of them going to flower (which look much smaller than normal) ... is this normal ?

Here's some updated pics ... can't wait to see what's going to happen with the pods if it gets any.
IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

Thanks Moh

Biggest problem I am having (and I don't have a solution yet) is oedema.

It's not as easy with a big plant to wait until the leaves start drooping and then give a good watering.

I guess it's just gonna take some practice.

KAOS said:
Thanks Moh

Biggest problem I am having (and I don't have a solution yet) is oedema.

It's not as easy with a big plant to wait until the leaves start drooping and then give a good watering.

I guess it's just gonna take some practice.
did you use chemical insecticide/fungicide sprays?
did you install DC fan?
enough light?

lek said:
did you use chemical insecticide/fungicide sprays?
did you install DC fan?
enough light?

Hi Lek

No insecticide used on this one.
Plant is indoors under LED and oscillating fan.
Is there a problem I'm not seeing ?

I'm definitely following this, KAOS. I've got a NuMex Twilight plant I'm going to Bonchi this year (my first attempt). I just got my wire in the mail last week. I've really gotta get going on that. The plant is still full size in the back yard, and it's been getting pretty chilly here at night.

What kind of soil are you using?

MikeUSMC said:
I'm definitely following this, KAOS. I've got a NuMex Twilight plant I'm going to Bonchi this year (my first attempt). I just got my wire in the mail last week. I've really gotta get going on that. The plant is still full size in the back yard, and it's been getting pretty chilly here at night.

What kind of soil are you using?

Hi Mike

I had it in 10% Perlite / 10% Earthworm Castings / 40% Potting Mix / 40% Compost , but drainage was too good (figure that) and it dried out super fast

Currently got it in 20% Peat / 40% Potting Mix / 40% Compost and feeding it weak fish emulsion. Moisture retention is better and PH should be more on par with acidic requirements (haven't tested)

Post some pics of your NuMex when you get going. I'd like to see your progress.

dragonsfire said:
Wow, thats Awesome cover !!

Thanks Neil ... just wish it was mine. That pic is what I'll be working towards once I'm 200% certain I've got the right soil mix.

Back