• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strongly self-pollinating peppers?

I'll be growing indoors this winter again.  I've tried hand pollinating before, with okay results, but was wondering if y'all can suggest any peppers that tend to self-pollinate effectively?  

I have an Aji Fantasy growing indoors under lights that just keeps producing.  A few taps to the flowers every now and then is all it takes to get pods to set. The flowers have a lot of pollen in them, but this seems to be true of most baccatum flowers that I have observed. So I would say maybe try some baccatums. 

make sure you got a fan blowing on them and you give them a shake every once in a while. All peppers are self-pollinating 

Most of them are the same species so it won't matter too much. Just shake the plants once in a while or use a fan. They don't like to fruit in the winter no matter how well pollinated they are though.

Awesome!  Thanks!  How do you like the pepper otherwise?

BlackFatalii said:
I have an Aji Fantasy growing indoors under lights that just keeps producing.  A few taps to the flowers every now and then is all it takes to get pods to set. The flowers have a lot of pollen in them, but this seems to be true of most baccatum flowers that I have observed. So I would say maybe try some baccatums. 

Always have a fan blowing on them - helps to strengthen the plant as well.  While all plants are self-pollinating, some do it much more readily than others.  That's what I was getting at.  

ColdSmoke said:
make sure you got a fan blowing on them and you give them a shake every once in a while. All peppers are self-pollinating 

That's fascinating.  Honest question, since I don't know, how does a plant tell seasons apart?  My understanding was that it came down to light cycles (hours of daylight vs dark), but that variable is controlled in a grow tent, so shouldn't matter.  Temperature is stable inside the house too.

cruzzfish said:
Most of them are the same species so it won't matter too much. Just shake the plants once in a while or use a fan. They don't like to fruit in the winter no matter how well pollinated they are though.

Yeah, fair enough, that's quite possible.  I'm just curious about the claim that peppers don't produce as much during the winter months.  Might be true, but I've never had a ton of luck getting them to produce indoor, even with a variety of hand pollination methods.  Maybe I'm just not very good at that.

Malarky said:
I'm fairly sure I've read that peppers don't care what the lighting cycle is...unlike other plants

Some plants such as corn do sense hours of light per day presumably to know when to flower seasonally. Chilli plants don't and my guess is because they naturally occur near the equator and they are not annuals..

..which is why if your temps remain stable your plants will continue to grow and produce. Those that say they won't produce in winter are correct when the temps seasonally drop but in year round warm climates they just keep growing and producing hence not needing to sense hours of daylight.

The Aji varieties are quite prolific...I've had great success with Aji Lemon Drop and Aji Melocoton indoors. 

Glad to hear!  I have both of those growing outdoors this year, so will save some seeds and try them indoors.  I've grown Aji Lemon Drop before and quite like it.  This is my first time with Melocoton.  Lots of pods, very, very pale yellow in colour, with a purplish tinge.  Hoping they start to ripen soon!

ColdSmoke said:
The Aji varieties are quite prolific...I've had great success with Aji Lemon Drop and Aji Melocoton indoors. 

finitejest said:
 This is my first time with Melocoton.  Lots of pods, very, very pale yellow in colour, with a purplish tinge.  Hoping they start to ripen soon!

I have two that are like that and then this one. This one has way more shade during the day...

UU9QdKnh.jpg

Back