misc SAmpler Pouches 3 grams

hello everybody, 

it is a great pleasure reading this amazing group.

i have a question maybe somebody could take me to the right path.

i woud like to put my hot sauce in food pouches and also i would like to put the hot sauce in small sampler , does anybody know anything bout it ...

thank you so much i greatly appreciated

cheers.

The Hot Pepper said:
Please be more specific and we will help. :)
Maybe he means something like this?

IMG_8759.jpg

There is a member and hot sauce maker here.  His member and hot sauce name is Lucky Dog.   Months ago, I think he mentioned looking into sample size sauce packets for his own line.  If my memory serves, there are only a handful of copackers that do it and the cost of the machines to do it yourself are outrageous.  But I am sure it depends on the scope of what a person wants to do.  Likely, the individual price goes down with volume.

Again, I -think- it was Lucky Dog who mentioned it.  I have a horrible memory.  But if so, he is very approachable and knowledgeable so you might want to look him up in membership.

Greetings ChefIsrael~ and :welcome: to THP!

I believe it was Lucky Dog Hot Sauce (Scott Zalkind) who posted about the small packets.  I don't remember the specifics, but it was along the lines of -
If using a co-packer, the order was something like 50,000 packets (when are you EVER going to go through 50K sample packets as a small business???? )  Issues with using sample packets seemed to be---if you give people sample packets at a market or event, they take the packets, go home and usually don't order online.  If you send out mass marketing sample packets by mail...again, the orders don't justify the cost of the samples and mailings, etc.  

Most small batch hot sauce makers rely on face to face sampling to get started.  Direct sales.  Boots on the ground going door to door with your sauce and talking with store owners directly to take on your sauces.  (not literally door to door, just targeting places who could sell your sauces in person...)  

It's hard to see the profitability or sales results from doing a 50K run of packets unless you get a contract with a fast food or convenience store chain which will put your packeted sauce out on their condiment bar in 100 stores.  Or maybe a military contract!  That would be cool!!!

For larger size pouches (5oz/148ml size) ...making that transition from hot sauce in bottles to mylar pouches is a big leap.  People like to see the sauce, love the color, bits of pepper and spices....I feel like losing that visual aspect of the product will make it very difficult for sales.  especially at markets and such. 

hope these comments helps and Best of Luck for your sauce venture!!!
salsalady

PS- New things and new options are coming up all the time.  If you do find a viable option for either making a short run of packets or a cost effective packaging machine, please post as there are a lot of small batch folks who would be interested.  
-cheers-
SL

thank you so much SALSAlady, Voodoo 6,AJ Drew,Hawaiianero,tctenten and the hot pepper for taking the time and helping me out , i am very grateful for your info and advice . 

i am just kind of stuck me and my patner we have such a great product and we are trying everything to get the sauce out of the market we are growing or own peppers and everything , we are located in ottawa canada and it's very hard to find a cowpacker, bottles and everything else kind of heckted   but we will keep searching . thank you very much  cheers

The packets are known in the industry as "sachets" - we commonly call them packets.  Usually they are about 9 grams.  Most copackers do NOT have the expensive equipment to fill these.  It's a great idea on paper, but trying to track down someone with the machinery is a nightmare.  I believe someone said in a conversation at a show I was at that the Palo Alto guys get theirs filled overseas in China? I think even then they are doing 1 million at a time, lead time and shipping also have to be considered.

Those mini woozy 1.7 oz bottles cost the same COG to fill at a copacker than the 5oz, so at that point, might as well use a working sample they can share with a friend.

Back