• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Chili Rayado from La Misión in the state of Hidalgo

Chili Rayado - translated to stripped chile is a heirloom pepper unique to the Town of La Misión in the state of Hidalgo Mexico. 
I got the pods from a Hispanic coworker who I often trade peppers with and given plant starts to. His parents have a house in  La Misión and spend half the year there coming back to Illinois for the winter (backward I know) 

For a while now i've been hearing him go on and on about this pepper and that his family usually brings a big bag of them back home every year. They just got back a few weeks ago and today he brought me a ziplock bag of them. 

BYlJZwB.jpg

I believe they are a type of Jalapeno (at least google says it's in the  "jalapeno family")  Heavily corked, shorter and hotter than a typical jalapeno grown solely in the town of La Misión. 

ZKAAujY.jpg

They are smoke dried for 3 days over god knows what kind of wood that's available in the region. Very smokey and have almost a raisin sweet scent to them. 

Here's a quick google link. http://mexicanfoodjournal.com/chile-rayado/
I'm going to see if any of the seeds will germinate. Being dried over smoke for 3 days they might not be viable but considering how long they are dried maybe they don't get too hot to kill the seeds. 

hogleg said:
:clap: AWESOME!!!  :clap: thanks for posting D3

:think: must find seeds

I'd really like to grow that one next year

When I send you a sfrb this summer i'll toss in a dried pod. .. if they germinate. Going to start some this weekend to test them. 

Same dude is growing the pequin x goatsweed cross and is in love with FP bums Hot rod serrano x maui purp. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235657255_Los_chiles_de_Mexico_y_su_distribucion

Page 32 of that book is the chile rayado.

It seems to me like it is extremely similar to, if not the exact same pepper we have been calling farmers market jalapeño.

The description of the chile says that it's name "rayado" comes from the unique stripes that it has. It also says that the stripes are known as corked "corchosidad", and can be so abundant that they cover practically 100% of the fruit.

The article does not mention the type of wood used to smoke the chiles, but it does say they use an oven called a "copil" to smoke them, and that the chile rayado is considered a high quality chile for it's aroma, flavor, and characteristics.

The article also states that chile rayado pods are sold green fresh in the markets to stuff with various ingredients, or to add flavor in various dishes. The vast majority of them are ripened and smoked, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170812-074013.png
    Screenshot_20170812-074013.png
    447 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20170812-074039.png
    Screenshot_20170812-074039.png
    591.3 KB · Views: 145
I gotta disagree that it's the same pepper as farmers jalapeno. Maybe related, but not the same imo.

In the pic D3 shows, I see very little horizontal striations if any, almost all vertical.

While the farmers jalapeno usually has horizontal striations, if not more than the vertical ones.

Also the size seems a bit off, farmers jalapeno are rather larger than the pods pictured in D3's hand.

Also the shape is questionable, I've never seen farmers jalapeno's that short.

I believe there are hundreds of Mexican heirloom chile's we don't really know about.

Many may be related but have variation from region to region, village to village.

I think Chris Phillips is who turned us on to the farmers jalapeno.

Gonna send him a link to this thread, and see if he knows the location where his source found it?

Whether or not the locations line up, we should have our answer.

Really curious about it, whether I'm right or wrong?

The book I referenced does mention that the chile rayado pods can vary between 6-12 centimeters, and weight between 35-60 grams. It does also describe the chile rayado plant as having medium to high fuzziness on the foliage, which definitely sounds a lot like the foliage of the farmers market jalapeño I grew last year.

I would definitely say that this book's description of the chile rayado most closely resembles the farmers market jalapeño, than any of the other described Mexican varieties in the book.

I definitely agree that the pic of the dried pods D3monic provided look less corked, and are shorter than many of the farmers market pods I've grown. It could be that they use the less striated, and smaller chile rayado pods for smoking, but use the larger, and more corked pods for stuffing, and eating fresh.

It also could be that they are two separate cultivars completely, and this book, which describes all of the chiles from Mexico doesn't have extremely obscure chile variants that are grown in small batches in peoples home/communal gardens.

I'm interested to find out as well.

I wish I grew the farmers market jalas again this year. They are really good stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and grilled/baked.

It is pretty interesting that the first pic of the chile rayado in the article I referenced looks exactly like a fully corked farmers market jalapeño.

Yes I have a friend thats a member of a seed saving group and he has seeds he got from his brother that got when in mexico says its his wifes favorite pepper well he is sending me some seeds so I am going yo start some and grown in pots so I can bring them inside for the winter
I will save seed to share

My friend emailed me this
I also started Chile Rayado, a Jalepeño type from the part of Mexico where we lived for some years. Chile Rayado produces a lot, it's early and the peppers tend to be hotter than a regular Jalepeño. This is my wife's favorite. Even if only dehydrated, the pods have a rich smoky flavor when added to cooking.

Back