• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing chilli, but what kind?

Hi Everyone!

I bought some seeds for "Carolina Reaper" chilli, and have been growing them since this spring. But now when they have started to produce "fruit" im not so sure they are Carolina Reaper Chilli... My chillis look nothing like Carolina Reaper, so my guess i got ripped of by the seed seller.

Does anyone know what kind of chili these are?

Thanx for the answer! Yes, the seeds are from Swedish Ebay... Do you have any idea of how the chillis should look when they are ready to eat? Or should i assume they might be toxic since i dont know what they are?

Ebay is infamous for that sort of thing. Best to get seeds from a trusted source in the future.

You will know they are ripening when the peppers change color. Red is typical, but they could be yellow, orange, or something else. Just have to wait and see.

And no, I don't think you need to assume it is toxic. It's not a Reaper. It may or may not be a Thai pepper, but it does appear to be some variety of Capsicum Annuum. So, it's a pepper. Anything in the genus Capsicum will be edible, so you are fine. It's just going to be a whole lot milder and less exotic pepper than what you paid for. 

Reactions: Tod
Looks like it might be a Mirasol pepper.  Pepper ID is crazy difficult sometimes.... and I can hardly identify my own if I don't have them maked !

Jeff

Haha, fellow Swede here with the same story and result. Bought from reputable dealer but got the same result. Mine looks like yours exactly. No real info to give though, mine have a nice taste but no spice. Not compared to what it should have been.

I do have the same plants 99 % sure. But mine are sold as "Bhut Jolokia". Not that it really matters...

At this moment I would say it are "Tien Tsin" peppers. Also known as "Tianjin" or just "Chinese red peppers. Based on looks of both the pepper as the plant, but also a taste-test of a young pepper. There was some heat inside for sure (nothing extreme ofcourse, and I'm used to way hotter) and the Tien Tsin does have 50-75k scoville.

(not sure if links are allowed, otherwise please just remove it)

http://www.spicegarden.eu/Semillas-de-Chili-Tianjin-Tientsin-Capsicum-annuum

Back