• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datil pod review

I really love this pepper. I got the seed for this out of pod my friend brought back from St. Augustine.
PLipRPbh.jpg

This lady claims it came from Cuba
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/peppers-americas-n792861

If you read some of the botanical sources from Cuba from the 19th century, a bunch of hot peppers are listed. The so-called dátil from St. Augustine, which is the only chinense of the U.S. with history and pedigree, didn’t come from Minorca. The people of St. Augustine had created this legend that it came from Minorca. No such thing. All the recent research says it was brought from Santiago de Cuba, and I found sources saying that there was a hot pepper called dátil and it’s described.

I may replace the Beni Highlands next year with these.

I guess you haven't seen the ad nauseam of datil pun sauces and pickles :shocked:

I lived about 30 minutes north of St. Augustine in the 1990's, and had an elderly gentleman down there give me several peppers from his plants while I was working In St. Aug.  I grew many plants from seeds, and they did very well, but back then there was not much information on what many different things you could do with them (sauces, rubs, etc.).  They were nice and hot, though.

Back