• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Clones vs. Seedlings

I am trying to get a handle on why it seems seedlings are more popular than clones.  Seems to me cuttings have great advantages, even more so if they come from adult plants.  They are faster and you know what they will turn out to be for sure.  No chance of cross pollination.

Could it be folk are just intimidated by the process? 

AJ Drew said:
I am trying to get a handle on why it seems seedlings are more popular than clones.  Seems to me cuttings have great advantages, even more so if they come from adult plants.  They are faster and you know what they will turn out to be for sure.  No chance of cross pollination.

Could it be folk are just intimidated by the process? 

The pepper growing enthusiast parallel the cannabis growing enthusiast so I'm surprised as well.

I bet if the pepper seeds cost $40-$300 a pack like canna, cuttings would be very popular  :lol:

Also packaging and shipping seeds is so much cheaper and easier.

I bet if one guy or nursery could provide a good selection of cuttings a couple seasons in a row

And it was marketed right and people got over the cost of packaging and shipping, it would start to change the industry.

I keep thinking of the posts I read about plants from nursery that dont grow into the right pepper.  Obviously the nursery is buying seed from a poor source.  They could eliminate that and produce seedlings so much faster if they grew clones.

Im cloning my yellow delicious apple just first try, root compound in flower pot dirt, in water tub. seeing if apple works easier then my peach tree

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

AJ Drew said:
I keep thinking of the posts I read about plants from nursery that dont grow into the right pepper.  Obviously the nursery is buying seed from a poor source.  They could eliminate that and produce seedlings so much faster if they grew clones.
Kinda comes down to growing season too. The cuttings would obviously be made during growing season and unless you plan to grow them indoors for next season or grow them totally indoors, theres no way they would be large enough to produce outdoors before first frost.

I'd associate it with the fact that you need a mother plant to get the cuttings from and it's more expensive to keep a mother plant growing year round than just growing from new seeds every year.

If I have a f1 of a cross that I really really like a lot , and I want to multiply , then cloning will be the best way to get the same plant without the danger of f1 instability changing the plant from f1 to f2??
So , with cloning and overwintering you can multiply the plants but still have a perpetual f1 of your cross?!?!

Back