• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

It's Powder Time

New Dehydrator finally showed up. Can't wait to break it in. 

FFiVEq1.jpg

8oepoT0.jpg

2DcH0ty.jpg

NbaudM2.jpg

Will look into some venting options so I can vent it outdoors. That way i'm not banished to dehydrating in the garage. 

a9CM4af.jpg

Edmick said:
Thats really nice. How much did that set you back if you mind me asking?

want to say it was ~ $80 on amazon but mother in law had got me a $50 gift card to there so only set me back like $37 out of pocket. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Good luck on the venting :) I have used a few carbon filters with flexible duct however supers win every time. 

I too have a blower, several 18" carbon filter and duct available. I'm not allowed to dehydrate in the kitchen any more. Wife woke up one day having an asthma attack and dogs wouldn't stop sneezing.  

Do you combine pepper powders or keep them separate? Do you use certain peppers for different dishes or just whatever you're in the mood for?

I dehydrate my peppers and just roast the family's eyeballs and singe their nose hairs. They expect it now :)

ako1974 said:
Do you combine pepper powders or keep them separate? Do you use certain peppers for different dishes or just whatever you're in the mood for?

I dehydrate my peppers and just roast the family's eyeballs and singe their nose hairs. They expect it now :)

some I blend , some I keep separate. Different kinds will get smoked over either cherry, alder or applewood. 

White pods probably won't get smoked like white bhut and white bullets. 

D3 Goat and El scorponero taste great smoked over cherry. 

Bonnets usually get mixed but I may do just a papa dreadie blend this year smoked. Pimento would be a good choice for that island taste. 

I got a small handful of 1oz shakers on order should be showing up today. Will try those out and see how I like them. 

71iTDEFnsPL._SL1500_.jpg

Might be a little too large. .5 oz might be a better choice. 

I used to use test tubes but they aren't very good for attaching labels. The latest brand I had nothing adhered to it very well. I might still do some in vials with heatshrink around the caps

zwRFKql.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
1 oz shaker only holds .5 oz of powder :) Those are the ones I use. 
Ok, cool. Couldn't afford nice glass ones right now. Went with PET since it was nice and clear vs PP.

Did find a semi decent price on glass but would of had to order lids separate

Current price point worked out to about $1 each and i'm not overly happy with that

D3monic said:
Ok, cool. Couldn't afford nice glass ones right now. Went with PET since it was nice and clear vs PP.

Did find a semi decent price on glass but would of had to order lids separate

Current price point worked out to about $1 each and i'm not overly happy with that
Yeah mine are glass, let me know how those work out for you. I found with plastic they can alter slightly. 

I am guessing those were food grade? 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yeah mine are glass, let me know how those work out for you. I found with plastic they can alter slightly. 

I am guessing those were food grade? 

It doesn't specify that but I know PET is used for water bottles and such. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QG67CZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Product features

• Clear, Bpa Free Plastic Jars
  • 1 oz capacity
  • Black Dispensing Caps
  • Pressure Sensitive Seals

overall i'm happy with the size 

UXIz2JN.jpg

Only has one flip top opening, no sifter

14m1xhJ.jpg

Size comparison to your glass jars. I assume it hold similar volume just the nice thick glass adds to the overall size. 

UhmqCMD.jpg

I think I will still do some vials too as they are nice for on the go, shove in a pocket or wifes purse. I make my wife keep at least one in each of her purses for when we go out to dinner

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Good luck with them! I do like the fact they are BPA free, many folks look for that now. 

Just the whole $15 for 16 of them isn't very economical. I'm sure I can find a better price. Was looking at Freund, uline, that other major site that is eluding me atm. Still need heatshrink bands as well. 

D3monic said:

Just the whole $15 for 16 of them isn't very economical. I'm sure I can find a better price. Was looking at Freund, uline, that other major site that is eluding me atm. Still need heatshrink bands as well. 

Have you tried SKS?  They make jars and bottles and things, but I don't know if they make shaker jars.  I've bought tins for spices from them before, and bottles for snow cone syrup.

Dasgrinch said:

Have you tried SKS?  They make jars and bottles and things, but I don't know if they make shaker jars.  I've bought tins for spices from them before, and bottles for snow cone syrup.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked them up. 

Looks like price is still close to $1 each even from sks. I can get two bags of 1 oz jars  96 total and a bag of lids 144 count   (lids are PP) and total is = $93 before tax and shippings. 

at least with amazon prime I get free shippings. 

I'll have to keep looking around. 

D3monic said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked them up. 

Looks like price is still close to $1 each even from sks. I can get two bags of 1 oz jars  96 total and a bag of lids 144 count   (lids are PP) and total is = $93 before tax and shippings. 

at least with amazon prime I get free shippings. 

I'll have to keep looking around. 

Yeah, they tend to be geared towards the bigger buyer, if you were buying 1400 plain jars, and 2300 shaker lids, your per unit price would be 36 cents each...but you'd have 900 extra lids. >_>

D3monic said:

Try Fillmore.

SWEET Dehydrator !  Mama tried to make me take the dehydrators out to the garage also , Told her no way , to humid out , so i run them in the grow room ,     :party:

moruga welder said:
SWEET Dehydrator !  Mama tried to make me take the dehydrators out to the garage also , Told her no way , to humid out , so i run them in the grow room ,     :party:
Yea that's the problem with garage it just adds to dry time. Think i'm going to set up a nice little station in the basement and vent the dehydrator out basement window. D3 Goat will be hottest pepper I have this year so other than that shouldn't be too nuclear.

Back