• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kingbo 300W LED grow light

Here's the unboxing and setup video. I'll post a follow-up review after I've used it for a while. It supposedly draws around 120 watts. You can operate veg/bloom lights independently or combined.
Here's the product description on Amazon copy/pasted below.

Specifications:
•Dimensions: 12.2x6.7x2.4 inches
•Item Weight: 4.7 lbs
•Replaces a 250 watt HPS/MH
•Avg. Power Draw: 120±3% watt
•LED Quantities: 60pcs 5Watt Bridgelux/Epileds
•LED Lens: 90°/120°Mixed
•Input Voltage: AC100-240V
•Frequency: 50-60Hz
•Lifespan: 50,000 hours
•Core Coverage at 24" Height 2.5x2.5ft
•Max Coverage at 24" Height 3x3ft

Package includes:
•1 x KB-M300 LED Grow Light
•1 x Hanging Kits
•1 x User Manual
•1 x 5ft Power Cord (US Standard 110V grounded 3 prong plug)

Attention please:
•Indoor use only, not water-proof.
•The UV and IR diodes looks dim, this is normal, don`t worry.
•Extremely bright, do not look directly at the LED bulbs when the light is working. 
•No extra ballast is needed.
•Can be controlled by Timer.

It's nice to see separate modes for vegetative and flowering, most lights are just like 'Ehh, f it, lets throw all the colors of the rainbow in there'. 

Whats your opinion about the "blurple" spectrum? What is the emission spectra of this light? The famously cited absorption spectra of chlorophyll a and b in ether/solvent which only shows sharp blue and red peaks has been widely refuted by the *McCree curve* as shown by his study on 55 different plants leaf tissues:

http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/conteudo_thumb/The-action-spectrum-absorptance-and-quantum-yield-of-photosynthesis-in-crop-plants.pdf

If you look at the curve he generates it shows that red has the highest quantum yield followed by green then blue. Plants use all wavelengths of light fairly efficiently from 400-660nm. As I attempt to grow some of my peppers indoors this year I'm going to try using warm white COBs or a 300w Roleadro 2nd gen LED light instead of these blurple lights. Strictly speaking in terms of energy input for photons produced why don't more LED manufacturers produce lights with a warm white spectra (3000-4000k)? This would be a slightly red shifted white light. Not to mention I hate looking at blurple lights and they obfuscate the growers ability to inspect plants easily with the lights on due to the color rendering they produce. I don't doubt the par of this light or its ability to grow plants but I do doubt the efficiency of these "full specrtum" blue and purple lights not to mention the gimmick of having "grow and veg" buttons considering all plants naturally grow under the specra of this light called the sun. Anyways Peter, love your videos and I look forward to your updates.

Personally I'm a little skeptical about the inexpensive (or expensive) LED grow lights for peppers.  I am not saying that they do not perform.  I have absolutely ZERO data that supports my skepticism. The data that I don't have is...... Do LED's work to grow PEPPERS ?

Look to the YouTube.... Hours of videos professing that LED's work for Cannabis. I'm fine with Cannabis (partake).... but the difference between Cannabis and Capsicum annuum are...... possibly significant.

Again, I cannot say that LED's won't work. I have a VIPARSPECTRA LED 700 lamp in one of my grow tents. It has been running for about two months. I have not given it a fair trial to be honest. I have moved plants in and plants out. No plant likes to be moved as we all know.

A note about the VIPARSPECTRA 700.... it is a heat producing rig.... no doubt.  Don't expect that buying an LED rig will be heat free.... the LED's themselves may run cool, but the fixture will be a significant heater inside of your tent (if your use a tent).

Jeff

Back