• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

expression in pods

As most of us have seen, 1st pods of the year sometimes do not look like the mature peppers we thought we were growing. And as time goes on the plant maturity develops the later pods do in fact start growing true. But what about pods that never true up to form our targeted trophies.

I have several doing this including the sought after Chocolate Reaper. I cannot say with any certainty that they are not reapers and more than I can say they are. Still immature and I have never tasted the chocolate variety. However, I dont want to save seeds from them for next year if they are not. Knowing what I do about reapers though has me leaning toward disappointment.

Excuse the 90o.

20170826_154041.jpg

20170826_154030.jpg

20170826_154006.jpg

I saved seeds from a prime reaper last year and it came out red looking like a habanero.  Pods later on in the season started to look like a reaper but they were smooth...the pimples and spikes from the year before were gone (they were OP).  I gave the plant away in frustration to a friend that had a terrible season this year.  Maybe if I overwintered it, it would turn out to not be a cross and grow the pods I had dreamed of?  I'll never know.  Sorry those chocolate reapers didn't turn out - I guess I won't be growing out my remaining seeds next year and will instead get them from puckerbutt (even though it will cost me 25 bucks Canadian for 10 seeds shipped).  Sometimes the real deal source is the way to go.

BSH said:
I saved seeds from a prime reaper last year and it came out red looking like a habanero.  Pods later on in the season started to look like a reaper but they were smooth...the pimples and spikes from the year before were gone (they were OP).  I gave the plant away in frustration to a friend that had a terrible season this year.  Maybe if I overwintered it, it would turn out to not be a cross and grow the pods I had dreamed of?  I'll never know.  Sorry those chocolate reapers didn't turn out - I guess I won't be growing out my remaining seeds next year and will instead get them from puckerbutt (even though it will cost me 25 bucks Canadian for 10 seeds shipped).  Sometimes the real deal source is the way to go.

By no means do I place blame on you. OP seeds tend to do that and its a gamble. One I would do again.

The pods may still have a great taste and heat which will make them in any case, not a waste. After all, they are still chocolates.

I grew some reapers last year that did the same thing and I thought I was growing habaneros. later pods started expressing the typical reaper shape and extremely so, and the heat to go with them. Hoping for deja vu.

Reactions: BSH
Just my observation but the plant in the pictures above looks like it's on it's last leg. A diseased or dieing plant, or one that wasn't in good shape before setting pods I feel will have a better chance of having funky pods.  

FreeportBum said:
Just my observation but the plant in the pictures above looks like it's on it's last leg. A diseased or dieing plant, or one that wasn't in good shape before setting pods I feel will have a better chance of having funky pods.  

Nutrient issues are present this year as well as not ideal weather. But this example is only one of several that I am experiencing. On the other hand my CPRs are doing rather well in the same conditions.

CAPCOM, I am very much still a rookie grower but I may be able to help. I'm growing chocolate reapers as well. Even though none are ripe yet, they seem to all have the correct look and shape of a reaper. When they are ripe, I can send you a few pods so you can collect the seeds for next year if you like.

FITN said:
CAPCOM, I am very much still a rookie grower but I may be able to help. I'm growing chocolate reapers as well. Even though none are ripe yet, they seem to all have the correct look and shape of a reaper. When they are ripe, I can send you a few pods so you can collect the seeds for next year if you like.

Thanks Cameron,
A very nice gesture and that would be much appreciated.

Back