• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A hot pepper without heat... wtf

"The founder of Ark Foods, Noah Robins, coined the name Honey Zepper after planting his first trial three years ago. Though people have called it a lot of other names, “we tried to come up with with something that truly describes the taste,” he says."

Interesting because it looks and sounds just like the Habanada. Even if it is, though, the fact that it's now available for fresh purchase is a great step forward.

Definitely another cool example of selective breeding to introduce a recessive trait.

I'm curious as to how it compares to the Habanada, NuMex Trick-or-Treat, Trinidad Pimento, or other "seasoning peppers" etc.

I have NuMex Trick-or-Treats and Trinidad Pimentos in the garden, but I'm not sure if I'll have ripe pods this year. Habaneros have an interesting flavor profile which I actually like (at least from the plant - not the store) and I'm looking for a non-pungent variety to share with family that has... less tolerance.

I've heard that Trinidad Pimentos might fit those characteristics, but I guess I'll be the judge when I can taste side-to-side.

spicefreak said:
"The founder of Ark Foods, Noah Robins, coined the name Honey Zepper after planting his first trial three years ago. Though people have called it a lot of other names, we tried to come up with with something that truly describes the taste, he says."

Interesting because it looks and sounds just like the Habanada. Even if it is, though, the fact that it's now available for fresh purchase is a great step forward.
I think it's great they are trying to make it commercially viable. I hope they succeed,

There's also the
Zavory Mild
Habanada
Aji Dulce
And things like the Trinidad Perfume

Sadly, my heatless seasoning peppers were the only ones that didn't make it.

Grew Habanada and Aji Jobito. Both have that hot chinense smell, but they're completely heatless. Delicious peppers though, it's easier to notice more flavor nuances when your tongue doesn't feel like it's being burnt off. 

Back