• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants FINALLY starting to get some fruit - How late in the season is "too late"?

I'm in Far-Northern Very-Coastal California, and our summer has been grey overcast, 63 degrees to 70 degrees for daily HIGH temps.  We're finally getting some nice days, and my pepper plants (types in a moment) are starting to sprout little fruit-ses!

I have;
Maule's peppers
Grandpa's Peppers
Tien Tsin Peppers
Thai Peppers
and a couple that the seeds were sold as Habenero's, but they ain't Habenero's. (they were cheap, LOL!)

So my question is this;
Assuming some afternoon sun, and temps in the 70's (80 is almost uheard of here by Humboldt Bay) for the next month...
Can I hope to actually get some ripe peppers?  Or will fall/winter kill them in October, just before the first ones are ripe?

This is my first season growing peppers "from scratch" (from seeds) and my 15-18 surviving plants will be my first harvest, I hope!

Hoping for encouraging news, but prepared to manage my expectations!

Paul F.

Started the plants indoors in late January, under grow lights indoors until early to mid May (night temps still in the low 40's).  Managed to overwater, overfertilize, or sunburn to death about half of my seedlings. The survivors went outdoors in early June.  

Plant are 12" to 20" tall.  I readily admit, they are too crowded - I cheaped out on larger pots (a mistake I won't make next year!).

This is my furthest along (actually, and "unknown" pepper from dollar store seeds labeled "Habenero"... that's another thread).
The largest Maule's peppers are the size of the end of my thumb. The largest Grandpa's peppers are the size of pencil erasers (but they've doubled in number in the last two days).

3GyBm1.jpg

Ha!  Got another pic to work! (having trouble with my image host...)
This is a Grandpa's, and the peppers have gotten bigger than a pencil eraser now!  

DHoDW8.jpg

You'll definitely get ripe pods on the habanero dollar store. Maybe on the Grandpa, if you bring them inside before it gets too cold.
I'm jealous of your summer temps. Most of the summer here is 90-100 degrees. Peppers like it, but I sure as hell don't...

Well here's hoping we get a long "Indian summer" like we often do!

My GUESS is nighttime temps won't drop below about 35 until late October... But who knows.

Back to studying recipe's for my first few peppers, LOL!

Peppers like it hot, but that's not to say they won't grow in cooler temps. Daytime temps in the 70's should be good enough... it's the night time temps that you have to watch out for. Down to the 50's up here in the North this time of year and the peppers are still doing OK. Not great, but OK. 

Not familiar with California so much, but your location is on the coast.  Frost is probably not going to be a problem.  You may have a slow grow on your hands but hang in there.... time will tell.

You could make a small greenhouse or hoop house for your plants to live in.... Clear plastic hut or hoop. It'll warm up inside the house really fast in the sunshine, and could keep some of that heat into the night. Have to be careful though, you don't want your to cook your peppers in the house..... want to wait til they get to your kitchen   :P

Jeff

Back