• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Old Kimchi SCORE!!!

My favorite Korean market had some imported old kimchi from Korea. Cost me around $5.50 for a 500gram bag of it. The packaging date is 02/2017. Nothing artificial added or preservatives. The owner said this stuff is much older than the package dates and its a excellent Korean brand made for recipes that recommend old kimchi. This weekend im getting a nice piece of pork side with just the right amount of fat.

Oh the stew this is going to make!!!!! Im so tempted to make dubu kimchi bokkeum which is just pork belly/side cooked with the kimchi, onion and juice then served with tofu and steamed rice. More or less a "drier" but oilier version of kimchi stew.

I love the stuff but ive always loved kraut. Learning to make it was easy but keeping it long enough to get really ripe can be a challenge. Kimchi for stews should be as old as possible and i normally start eatin mine as a side dish after a couple weeks in the fridge. This one i bought will be a treat. Its made a much more traditional way according to the ingredient list. I normally wont buy it anymore since most of it is no better than mine.

Back