• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pink Tiger

Hey guys hope all is well with you and yours.  I am growing pink tigers and they are doing great except that on one plant some of the pink tiger chiles are red.. Is this due to cross pollination from the other pepper plants I have. And by the way the red pink tigers are a lot hotter.
Any info would help thanks in advance. I'll try and upload some pictures a little later.

scytheslay said:
Hey guys hope all is well with you and yours.  I am growing pink tigers and they are doing great except that on one plant some of the pink tiger chiles are red.. Is this due to cross pollination from the other pepper plants I have. And by the way the red pink tigers are a lot hotter.
Any info would help thanks in advance. I'll try and upload some pictures a little later.

From Mojo Peppers website under Pink Tiger. http://chilipepperseeds.tictail.com/product/pink-tiger-10-seeds

WARNING: the pods can have different shape and color (striped, spots or not) depending by cultivation parameters and strong sun. The pics you can see on my blog are about my pods in my garden but different results are possible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The ones I grew last year were all over the place.  They came from a seed train so I figured they were crossed with something.  Now I wonder, maybe they are wildly influenced by environment.

I am not sure what generation the Pink Tiger is at, but I am thinking it is likely not entirely stable yet. That could also be a reason for some of the variations people are getting.

scytheslay said:
on one plant some of the pink tiger chiles are red.. Is this due to cross pollination from the other pepper plants I have.

No. It doesn't work that way. Cross-pollinating a flower alters the genetics of the seeds, but it does not alter the fruit produced by that flower. It is possible that your plant with the red pods was itself the product of accidental cross-pollination (a hybrid). Or it could be the way it is because of instability in the Pink Tiger variety itself. Probably no way to know for sure which one is the case.

The Pink Tiger is a gentic mess. I've seen it produce fully purple pods, fully peach ones and even ones the shape of radishes. It's beautiful but not nearly stable and the colouration is caused by an anthocyanin tan so it's highly dependent on lighting and soil acidity.

Back