• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Farmers Jalapeño

Thanks go to Slug for sending seeds for this one.

0fd0056906a6a595b87c0b0937bafb4c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see they turned out for you, man.  The various baccatum you sent me are doing well, though one of the aji pineapple is either diseased or simply got way too much water and hasn't dealt well with it.  I haven't felt up to snapping shots and uploading things to my glog post-surgery, but I hope to get around to it again soon.  If you planted any of that C. Frutescens cross I sent you, be warned.  The first couple off my plant were delicious and heatless, but they now have between habanero and bhut heat.  Surprised the heck out of me after eating several early pods that had zero heat.  Hah!

AndyW said:
That corking is amazing

What's funny is those are kinda mild examples of the corking for this variety.  I've had peppers come off the plant before that I had to squeeze to figure out when they were ripe because the entire outside was brown.  It's crazy.  In a big enough container they can get HUGE.  Case in point:

eykGJaZ.jpg

That beast got knocked off the plant early and was over an inch thick at the midpoint.  It practically looked photoshopped.  I find this variety sweeter than most other jalapeño and extremely mild.  Only downside to these plants in my experience is that the aphids absolutely love them.  I've been fighting periodic aphid explosions on both of mine all year this year.

Someone told me to look at the bottom tip to see if they are ripe / red.  To my surprise, even when completely corked over there is a tiny little spot on the bottom to see the color.  The flavor and heat difference between green and red is amazing.  At green, they are like super concentrated bell peppers.  Is my favorite Jalapeno by far.

Back