Hello from Billings, MT

Whats up everyone,

I just started making my own sauce and I have a couple questions. I have looked up some ways to get the ph level down to below 4. Somewhere in between 3.5-4. What are some of the ways which do not shoot the sauce full of vinegar that allow for long shelf life? I see some ingredients which look like they come from some science facility similar to the one seen in the movie 'The Warning'. Are there risks associated with using these?
     Secondly, what kind of ingredients outside of a normal hot sauce recipe I could add without changing the ph much? I am using Caribbean Red habaneros, onions, garlic, vinigar, salt & pepper, tomatoes, a little bit of sugar and a little bit of olive oil. Anything I can add to these to experiment with different flavor profiles so I don't have to balance the vinegar?

Thanks,

Adam

acphillipsauce said:
Whats up everyone,

I just started making my own sauce and I have a couple questions. I have looked up some ways to get the ph level down to below 4. Somewhere in between 3.5-4. What are some of the ways which do not shoot the sauce full of vinegar that allow for long shelf life? I see some ingredients which look like they come from some science facility similar to the one seen in the movie 'The Warning'. Are there risks associated with using these?
     Secondly, what kind of ingredients outside of a normal hot sauce recipe I could add without changing the ph much? I am using Caribbean Red habaneros, onions, garlic, vinigar, salt & pepper, tomatoes, a little bit of sugar and a little bit of olive oil. Anything I can add to these to experiment with different flavor profiles so I don't have to balance the vinegar?

Thanks,

Adam
I'm not an expert, but I know lemon or lime juice can be used in place of vinegar. I think they go better with the fruitier type hot sauces. You've probably found it already, but there is a lot of good info on this thread. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

Back