• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Is this nute burn?

0mfwq5y.jpg

9x8cRxE.jpg

gGVDGkA.jpg

Major Pain said:
What are you giving 'em, and how strong?

Monday I gave them miracle gro all purpose 24-8-16 at full strength (1 tbsp per gallon). I usually do this once every two weeks. About 1 week ago I potted them all up and mixed jobes organic granular fertlizer in all the new soil.

All the yellowing is only from the last day

Two seeks ago I did something similar..  Jobe's tomato fert, and small amounts of MG tomato until the organic had a chance to break down.

Major Pain said:
Since you just up-potted 'em, and fed them heavily.. I would give them just water for a few weeks.

Yeah for sure. I won't feed them for abit. I hope they don't get worse. When I left for work they were all green, came back to them starting to yellow / curl inwards

what soil are you growing them in? when this stuff is happening at the top of the plant I always suspect that there might be root damage either from being too soggy (no gas exchange at the roots) or pests/pathogens in the roots. Often times its both. If you still suspect its nutrient related try changing to quarter strength every watering as opposed to full strength every 2 weeks- when growing in containers large bolus feeding can lead to salt build up and nute burn. Does MG have calcium and magnesium in it? does your growing media have lime in it? could also be a magnesium deficiency or a calcium/magnesium imbalance. If all your plants are grown the same way the nutrients don't necessarily explain it though.  

thefish said:
what soil are you growing them in? when this stuff is happening at the top of the plant I always suspect that there might be root damage either from being too soggy (no gas exchange at the roots) or pests/pathogens in the roots. Often times its both. If you still suspect its nutrient related try changing to quarter strength every watering as opposed to full strength every 2 weeks- when growing in containers large bolus feeding can lead to salt build up and nute burn. Does MG have calcium and magnesium in it? does your growing media have lime in it? could also be a magnesium deficiency or a calcium/magnesium imbalance. If all your plants are grown the same way the nutrients don't necessarily explain it though.  

The soil is Pro-Mix HP, however that one plant with the yellow/white leaves was a mix of pro-mix HP and miracle gro seed starter. I do have a fungus gnat issue, which I am almost done (hopefully) killing off after adding a layer of sand ontop.

My usual regimen is fertilize biweekly (miracle gro all purpose, sometimes miracle gro tomato), and spray with epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) solution biweekly on alternating weeks. When transplanting I will mix jobes organics granular tomato fertilizer in the soil, which has bone meal and some other organic material. I try to let them wilt abit, feel how heavy the pot is and water when it is around that light.

Since this picture, I have transplanted that yellow/white plant, and took 2 plants that were in plastic pots and moved them to 3 gallon fabric bags.

I also raised the lights from about 24 inches to 40 inches because I wanted them to grow taller. They are very small and bushy.

Here they are now. The one that was yellow/white is turning green again.I had a weird issue with 2 of them (the two that were in plastic pots). I noticed after spraying with epsom salt, a few of the leaves were very weak, and very dark green. They then turned like how you see in the picture. Monday would be my fertilizer day, but i'm skipping it for now.

O3hg49P.jpg

Rz4kzFg.jpg

eQAGZPa.jpg

VYVbMqy.jpg

hPzd7ux.jpg

cF2PsUS.jpg

Major Pain said:
That looks like the light is too close.  Try moving it further away, and see if the new growth comes in green again.
This probably was the issue as they are turning green again it seems. It's weird though as they were already ~24 inches away and they aren't very powerful (132W true power LED x2)

Take my reply with a grain of salt (Epsom Salt)

Don't use Epsom salt unless you have a valid reason to use it. Don't try to prevent or enhance something that "might" happen.  Additives add complexity more than solutions. Just my personal opinion.

Your early pics look good to me, even in the blue/red light.

When you up-pot or otherwise disturb the root system, or change the lights or the time of the lights.... or the temp of the grow... no point in being concerned. Give it time (maybe lots) before the plants have a change to adjust. During this time you should not feed them super hot ferts. Maybe just water until the roots can adjust.

As "thefish" said (in a nutshell) it's all about the roots. Good roots make a good plant.

Happy Growing,

Jeff

Back