• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hurricane Winds - Protection?

Team!

I live in South Carolina and Hurricane Irma is en route to a likely landing here next week. Is there anything at all to be done to protect my plants? I have full grown reapers, rains, scoropions and habaneros. Staking? Cinder
Blocks to keep from swaying?

If they are in containers and you can not move to garage, maybe lay them down before they get blown down.  Even here in KY, when I stake and tie up high wends snaps things where the tie meets the plant.  Please be safe and screw the plants if it means protecting you.

Thank you! They're in my garden, so I'm screwed. I love inland and am really primarily concerned with wind. My house is in a sandy area so we get really good drainage! Appreciate your concern! I lost a plant to a thunderstorm last year, let alone a full on major hurricane!

Irma just finished visiting for the weekend. Good riddance!  Mine were pots, and went to the garage, but it has been a wet year with other problems associated with that (leaf drop, etc).  At least their don't seem to be too many white flies now.  If you put any sort of structure over them, just anchor well.  You will have lots of rain, but not the winds we had last night (+75), and we in the north were fortunate.  Best of luck, and just be safe.

you could put in some 2x4 stakes or anything that could be used as a stake in the ground and tie string from stake to stake intertwining the plants in the process like a spider web
good luck

sacrafice your body for the greater good!

article-0-1434C5A9000005DC-952_634x405.jpg

Back