• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Perfume

Hey everybody. So, I planted some seeds that were sent to me in 2015 labelled merely "Sweet Hab". I was curious. I like the taste of low to heatless Chinense quite a bit.

Well, the little red pods weren't as tasty as I wanted but they were unique. Then I tasted one side by side with one of my Trinidad Perfume pods and it was damn near exactly the same!

I don't think I've seen a red Perfume before, have any of you?

Guitarman said:
Probably Tobago Seasoning or similar, there's plenty of sweet, red and tasty Chinenses out there.
Man, you're not kiddin. Although I grew that new Haba Nada thing this year as well, when it came on the scene people were freaking out.. "a heatless habanero! It's unreal!" And I'm over here saying "Well, I've grown a few different heatless Habs, I don't see what the big deal is."

(Then I tasted mine. It's actually pretty cool. Tastes just like a classic Hab.)

charlesquik said:
A picture would be great :)
I still haven't figured out the whole pic posting thing here at THP (sorry..!!) but the latest video on my YouTube channel is about this very thing. My channel is just "Brendan Picante" if that helps?

If you upload somewhere like Imgur and get a direct link, you can just use
ímg]. I'm on mobile, so I'm not sure if the full website has an easier way to do it.

BrendanPicante said:
Man, you're not kiddin. Although I grew that new Haba Nada thing this year as well, when it came on the scene people were freaking out.. "a heatless habanero! It's unreal!" And I'm over here saying "Well, I've grown a few different heatless Habs, I don't see what the big deal is."

(Then I tasted mine. It's actually pretty cool. Tastes just like a classic Hab.)
Arroz con Pollo, Sweet Datil, Grenada Seasoning, NuMex Suave...Just to name a few!
Great peppers! :)

Habanero is such a broad category with so much variation in flavor, shape, and color.  Maybe it is a sweet habanero.without a fancy name.  Begs the question, what exactly is a habanero?  Think about things like Devil's Tongue and some of the funky chocolate habs.  Hard to believe they are in the same group.

BrendanPicante said:
I still haven't figured out the whole pic posting thing here at THP (sorry..!!) but the latest video on my YouTube channel is about this very thing. My channel is just "Brendan Picante" if that helps?

In your reply there is an upload button bottom left.

BrendanPicante said:
Seems like Habanero is just another word for Chinense types sometimes!
Simpson's seeds have confirmed to me that they use the word for any non-Naga chinense. I'm sure that they aren't the only ones.

AJ Drew said:
Habanero is such a broad category with so much variation in flavor, shape, and color.  Maybe it is a sweet habanero.without a fancy name.  Begs the question, what exactly is a habanero?  Think about things like Devil's Tongue and some of the funky chocolate habs.  Hard to believe they are in the same group.
Habanero is originally a Spanish term meaning 'from La Habana'. La Habana being Havana, the capital of Cuba. In past times Havana was one of the biggest trading posts in the region.

When a pepper is classified as a habanero, and when it's not, is still a mystery to me. I've researched it a bit but nobody seems to have an answer. Some say it's pod shape, but there's a lot of variation between them.

They are closely related to and often confused with Scotch Bonnets. So when is some thing a Bonnet and when is it a habanero? Is it the shape then? But then why is a Paper Lantern considered a hab? I'm clueless.

Back