• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding how to prevent cross pollination

I grow all my peppers on an elevated outdoor deck that is 6 feet x 10 feet. They all sit within 12" to 18" of each other.  What do others do to prevent cross pollination when growing in crowded locations? This location , beginning in June through October has sun 8 to 12 hours a day, so it's ideal for growing.  
Thank you

Attachments

• 20170826_075757.jpg
    20170826_075757.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi
Doesn't this stunt growth? I see you use tomato cages also.  Or, is compacting a better way to grow more pods?
Thank you

theclosetguy said:
Doesn't this stunt growth?
Ya see the second plant from the right? It's 5'+ tall 7 Pot Brain Strain. Look "stunted" to you? ;) How much bigger do you need it?! :rofl: I cut the tulle netting as tall as I could (I think the roll was 5'), and it's got a lot of flexibility to it. I think it works great

theclosetguy said:
Or, is compacting a better way to grow more pods?
^ Not quite sure what you mean here, bud. I wouldn't do anything (purposely) to "compact" the growth though

MikeUSMC said:
Tulle, Gorilla Tape, staples, and a bungee cord :)
attachicon.gif
IMG_4894.JPG
I love that setup Mike. I've been using paint strainer bags on branches, but it's always hit or miss if I get the best looking pods, or any. Covering the whole plant is ideal I think. I'm going to look at doing something like what you have next year.

I bought like 50' x 5' roll from a crafts store and made big "pillow cases" out of them. Gorilla taped them shut (that stuff is AWESOME, and holds up to the rain very well), then stapled around the perimeter. "Swallowed" the tomato cages with them and bungeed the bottom :cheers:

I let my plants grow unimpeded.  So a few have gotten real bushy. If I used Tomato cages and Tulle that would not happen. Obviously it works since your plants are proof.  I get the idea of a tube. As the plant grows the tube expands. 
I'm going to start fresh next year with Habanero's and ghost seeds that I have from previous years. I'll use your idea to keep them clean.
Thank you

MikeUSMC said:
I bought like 50' x 5' roll from a crafts store and made big "pillow cases" out of them. Gorilla taped them shut (that stuff is AWESOME, and holds up to the rain very well), then stapled around the perimeter. "Swallowed" the tomato cages with them and bungeed the bottom :cheers:
I did the same thing, except I used hot glue for the seams. It works great and remains flexible. Just another option.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Seems more time consuming, but yeah, that would work too. I HIGHLY recommend Gorilla Tape. That shit is awesome. I blew a hole in the knee of a pair of Carhartt work pants a few years ago. Gorilla taped the hole (back to back tape, inside and out) to patch them up to keep for doing yard work. The tape held up through the washing machine for over 2 years, haha. Great stuff!

Hi all! I am very new to growing anything so I am trying to learn as much as possible. The netting idea is only to prevent cross pollination from bees, right? What about pollen blown around by the wind? Or is that not a common issue for peppers since they are self pollinating?

Back