• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chocolate Bhutlah SM - Multiple pod shapes now?

Bohica Pepper Hut is now selling seed stock for Steven McLauren Chocolate Bhutlah (Chocolate Bhutlah SM). 

https://bohicapepperhut.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/chocolate-bhutlah-seeds-1

The pod shape looks different than the one offered by Puckerbutt

https://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/products/chocolate-bhutlah-seeds

If I understand what StandandFire / Mr. McLauren said in a Youtube video, he teamed up with Puckerbutt because they could get multiple generation a year (heated green houses maybe) and thus speed up the time needed to grow it out and get it stable.

Since Puckerbutt has that contract that says no commercial use and because the pods look different, i am thinking maybe these guys got seeds from an earlier generation?  Maybe Puckerbutt went one way with growing out and the source of these seeds went the other?

Does anyone know if the official Puckerbutt seeds ever throw these type of pods?  I think I am wondering, which is the most correct?  The ones that favor douglah or the ones that favor ghost in appearance?

That's what I'm thinking. I got some chocolate bhutlah (SM, I believe) seeds from a member here that are growing out to look like the first link. I was also thinking that something like what happened with the 7 pot Lava has happened with the bhutlah too. Seeds got out before the pepper was stabilized.

`
No super hot is stable so pods shapes will vary every year.

5dd96e4e6ae3e7a06b6bd3377c2943be.gif

`​

jedisushi06 said:
No super hot is stable so pods shapes will vary every year. 

Trying to get a grasp on how far you think this goes.  Do you think things like CARDI Scorpions are not stable?

AJ Drew said:

Trying to get a grasp on how far you think this goes.  Do you think things like CARDI Scorpions are not stable?

My plants make the exact same pod. Third season for the mother plant, second season for plants grown from her seeds and first season for clones.

DWB said:

My plants make the exact same pod. Third season for the mother plant, second season for plants grown from her seeds and first season for clones.

Which one?  Can we call it with and without lips?

I think I have figred out an answer to my own question.  Puckerbutt and Mr. McLauren obviously get to decide because they grew it out.  Any incarnation of the SM strain that has an earlier pre - growing out look should not carry the SM letters.

I keep getting worried I am going to step on toes.  Not saying how things should be or that anyone is doing anything wrong.  Working out ideas for how it could work.  Cross pollinating is so easy and fun that more and more folk are starting to do it.  There should be a sort of naming convention. I have been doing it with peppers for a bit, not long at all.  Think I am going to try with gourds next season cause almost as many fun shapes there to screw with.

My favorite: Dont name it till it is stable.  Call it what ever x what ever F what ever.  Or give it a number.  Imagine the confusion that could end right there.

DWB said:
Morphine?

Well played sir.  I forgot about that.  Not yet.  Finally on my way today.  So much stuff here that I am the only one who can do.  Drives me nuts but makes me feel needed.

jedisushi06 said:
I don't consider that one a super hot.

I think I am seeing your frustration and tried to get to it with CARDI.  I don't think the lack of stability is the nature of the super hot.  I think it is the nature of who is maintaining the lines combined with the speed at which new crosses are being released.

Puckerbutt, Refining Fire Chili, or other seed producers we might think of as large in our niche are just that.  They are in a niche.  They aren't Burpee and don't have the same resources.  But I do think the potential is there.  I do think that if Burpee ever thought there was enough money in the niche that we would have much more stable seed stock to choose from.

Thing is, that is much of the fun.  I get ahold of something, grow, select, cull, grow, select, cull.  Thinking next year I am going to offer something like the What Do You Think box of fresh pods.  Something really cheap on the honor system.  You buy it this cheap is you promise to fill out the form and tell me what do you think.  Might be too much organization for me but it would be really cool to crowd source the selection process and descriptions but not have to pay shipping for each opinion.

Back