• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ted Barrus says CPI is bullshit???

Am I missing something?  The Chile Pepper Institute of the New Mexico State University did a test to determine what chili peppers of the time were the hottest.  In a controlled side by side experiment, they determined that the Moruga Scorpion was the hottest at the time.  Seems legit.

In this video, Mr. Barrus says CPI made outrageous claims about needing two pair of gloves to handle them.  I dont think that is outrageous.  If I process with a single pair of gloves, wash my hands and then rub my eyes it frigging hurts.  I dont know what soaks threw, but something sure does.

Then he caps it off by saying Moruga Scorpion was never certified by Guinness?  Seriously?  Uh, Guinness also certifies who can hold the most living cock roaches in their mouths at once.  I dont think they actually test a thing.  I think they review records.  This vs. a study by a major university?

Now what he said about sensationalism and the Dragon's Breath pepper, ye that seems about spot on.  Lots of sensationalism going on there.  Gotta love the whole it will kill you stuff.  But to rip on a major university and praise Guinness.  Seriously, what the heck is he thinking?

Mr. Barrus, I have watched you, laughed with you, and not long ago prayed for you.  So glad you are looking and sounding better.  I agree with your frustration over the whole hottest pepper in the world thing.  But trashing on a university and praising Guinness.  Come on guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx6NKCqgsUk

No talent is a bit of a stretch but assclown sideshow seems accurate. The dude is pretty much the definition of using sensationalism to get views so, while I'm not going to give them to him by clicking your link, this sounds pretty hypocritical of him.

Any claim that Guinness never certified the Moruga Scorpion is true only on technicality, as the Guinness Book of World Records hasn't actually been owned by its namesake company for almost a decade. It was a certified record holder and may have been dethroned by the Reaper but, as many here have said, they are close enough and variable enough, as well as dependant enough on growing conditions, that either could easily come out on top in tests.

Is this a bold, against the grain claim from the CPI? Absolutely. Are they in the wrong at all? No. If that's what they've found then, by all means, it's within their rights to publicize it.

And, well, I can't speak for gloves because I use vinyl. Something in my sweat eats through latex. Not quickly enough that it's likely to pose a problem but enough that I'd rather not risk it.

Oh and it might be worth noting that the Reaper nolonger holds the record either.

spicefreak said:
No talent is a bit of a stretch but assclown sideshow seems accurate. The dude is pretty much the definition of using sensationalism to get views so, while I'm not going to give them to him by clicking your link, this sounds pretty hypocritical of him.

Gimme a break. How much talent does it take to hit the record button and then start throwing up? :rofl:
     Being successful at using sensationalism to get views doesn't take talent, just a stupid audience. He's just one of many hyper-narcissistic social media like-whores out there today. The internet is absolutely flooded with garbage content like his these days.
     Also, I'm not sure you know the definition of hypocritical. If so, you don't know me.

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:

Gimme a break. How much talent does it take to hit the record button and then start throwing up? :rofl:

The talent, such that it is, is being able to talk through that.

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
Being successful at using sensationalism to get views doesn't take talent, just a stupid audience. He's just one of many hyper-narcissistic social media like-whores out there today. The internet is absolutely flooded with garbage content like his these days.
Also, I'm not sure you know the definition of hypocritical. If so, you don't know me.

Do I know what hypocritical means? Yes. Do I know you? No, Does it matter? Probably not. I was accusing Ted (assuming that the claims about him here are real) of hypocrasy, not you.
The dude should not be calling anyone out for sensationalism.

D3monic said:

This, he even went as far as to threaten my whole family when I pretty much pointed that out to him. He's a real piece of shit. 

I once rationalized wanting to kill the pizza delivery guy for being late.  I figured he was trying to starve me to death.  Was taking prescription steroids for something at the time.  I do not know the guy but I know he cut serious weight really fast and was looking horribly sickly there for a bit.  Then he started promoting marijuana left and right.  Willing to bet the two are related.  Maybe some of the anger issues came with the medication or facing something horrific.  Seriously, you never know.

On the other hand, if it were my family that was threatened I am not sure I could be so open minded.  So I do get it.

When I first got involved with super hots I tuned in to his channel to see what was out there and how hot he made them look. But after a while I got tired of watching a puke fest every review.
I have never seen Nigel Carter puke on camera. Guess its a matter of class too.

jedisushi06 said:
same here.  If i ever see him in person it's on like donkey kong.  why do you think he got banned from here.

Looking at the man in this video I think the universe done gone all donkey kong on him already.  Seriously, I dont know what he did on THP to upset so many people but what ever he has been going threw I would not wish on someone I absolutely hated.

I -think- I had a little taste of that sort of stuff when I joined a facebook group called War Peppers or maybe Pepper Wars.  Something like that.  People do get really angry and mean over the strangest things.  Fortunately for us, Da Boss seems to have a set of policies that keeps the stuff off THP

I live very remote.  Rarely leave the farm.  Have no employees.  But I wake up with you guys, take breaks with you guys, and other than seeing actual faces it is like having a whole crew here on the farm.  Complete with dumb jokes and personal sorrows.  I feel like the place is an extended family.  .

spicefreak said:
Is this a bold, against the grain claim from the CPI? Absolutely. Are they in the wrong at all? No. If that's what they've found then, by all means, it's within their rights to publicize it.

Was there a new claim? were still talking about the field trials published in 2012, right?

Wait a minute.  This thread has gotten so entertaining that I forgot the original point and question.  Please do tell me cause this is bugging the hell out of me and the opinion has not only come from the FBI guy.

Do people really think Guinness is all that?  As far as I know, they test nothing.  They just review tests done by others.  What completely blows me away about the video is how dismissive the speaker of of the New Mexico University and its studies.  It just seems like the average person would be more likely to trust a major university than the people who count how many life cockroaches you can hold i your mouth.

So I guess my question is how did Guinness become an authority more supreme than the frigging scientists researching stuff at our universities?

AJ Drew said:
Wait a minute.  This thread has gotten so entertaining that I forgot the original point and question.  Please do tell me cause this is bugging the hell out of me and the opinion has not only come from the FBI guy.

Do people really think Guinness is all that?  As far as I know, they test nothing.  They just review tests done by others.  What completely blows me away about the video is how dismissive the speaker of of the New Mexico University and its studies.  It just seems like the average person would be more likely to trust a major university than the people who count how many life cockroaches you can hold i your mouth.

So I guess my question is how did Guinness become an authority more supreme than the frigging scientists researching stuff at our universities?

I dont think they are. I think if you have enough
time, $$$ and persistence you can get a Guinness record.

CAPCOM said:

I dont think they are. I think if you have enough
time, $$$ and persistence you can get a Guinness record.

Doesnt it seem like considering Guinness more reliable than university studies to be something out of the movie Idiocracy?

Back