• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Out of nowhere, Tomato Hornworms

Peppers survived the storm, but may not survive my newest pest, the tomato hornworm! Any suggestions on an organic treatment, they seem to laugh at neem oil and are treating my plants and pods as free buffet. Thai pepper almost down to a few stems. They are not easy to spot as they are the same color as the leaves and stems.

Crispee-FL said:
They are not easy to spot as they are the same color as the leaves and stems.

Blacklight flashlight, homie.  The little bastards love to feed at night and are all dayglo like a rave kid under blacklights.  You can do a quick sweep after it has been dark a few hours or a few hours before dawn and just pick them all off.

Slug said:

Blacklight flashlight, homie.  The little bastards love to feed at night and are all dayglo like a rave kid under blacklights.  You can do a quick sweep after it has been dark a few hours or a few hours before dawn and just pick them all off.

I learned that trick a couple years ago and it's easily the best way for me to deal with them. A quick stroll around the garden at night with a pair of scissors and the blacklight and they don't have a chance.

Sinn said:
please take some pics of the massacre [emoji83]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go Sinn
IMG_1207.JPG

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/product.jsp?productId=39370&parentCategoryId=10&categoryId=148&subCategoryId=2399&type=product&cid=gooshop&source=google_pla&9gtype=%7Bifsearch:search%7D%7Bifcontent:content%7D&9gkw=%7Bkeyword%7D&9gad=%7Bcreative%7D.1&9gpla=%7Bplacement%7D&ctcampaign=4680&ctkwd=%7Bproduct_id%7D&ctmatch=&ctcreative=%7BCreative%7D&ctplacement=899567-49767717579

pick off what you can find, but you tend to miss some.....and they keep coming; they can do a lot of damage on a short time

thuricide is great stuff, and they make this certified organic version as well......it is a bacteria that locks up their digestive system, they stop eating & starve.......i had horn worms the past few years, i sprayed this stuff before i went away on vacation (which is when they always came out).....after 2-3 years of treating the garden, i didn't get a one this year

tims77 said:
http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/product.jsp?productId=39370&parentCategoryId=10&categoryId=148&subCategoryId=2399&type=product&cid=gooshop&source=google_pla&9gtype=%7Bifsearch:search%7D%7Bifcontent:content%7D&9gkw=%7Bkeyword%7D&9gad=%7Bcreative%7D.1&9gpla=%7Bplacement%7D&ctcampaign=4680&ctkwd=%7Bproduct_id%7D&ctmatch=&ctcreative=%7BCreative%7D&ctplacement=899567-49767717579

pick off what you can find, but you tend to miss some.....and they keep coming; they can do a lot of damage on a short time

thuricide is great stuff, and they make this certified organic version as well......it is a bacteria that locks up their digestive system, they stop eating & starve.......i had horn worms the past few years, i sprayed this stuff before i went away on vacation (which is when they always came out).....after 2-3 years of treating the garden, i didn't get a one this year
Thanks I just ordered some online

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Every single one I have found this year I had to leave alone...

7 so far and they all looked like this or worse, one I found yesterday was sucked dry
all the ones I found and ripped off the plants were healthy as can be, no parasitic eggs unfortunately. Beautiful photography btw!

JoynersHotPeppers said:

7 so far and they all looked like this or worse, one I found yesterday was sucked dry

21083636_1701338029899916_3503649692702896989_o.jpg
I'm new to growing care to explain why you couldn't kill it? [emoji83]

JoynersHotPeppers said:

21083636_1701338029899916_3503649692702896989_o.jpg

Please apply napalm to that.....mother of magdelyn burn that thing now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flamethrower: :deadhorse: :fire:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
What you see on it are eggs from the wasp that is also on it. As the babies grow they eat it alive from the inside out. 
Ouch so that suckers dead anyway [emoji83]

UPDATE: Thank you everyone for the suggestions the Thurocide worked like a charm. We even have new growth in a weeks time.
20170920_180121.jpg

Back