vendor Mold or Dirt?

Hi,

long time reader, first time poster here. Hopefully i'll contribute more next season, for years i am trying to grow a few things on my own, but so far i never had the time to do it.

Which is why i am reaching out to you guys. I ordered a good amount of peppers a few days ago. Items were shipped super fast and the package arrived this afternoon. I was happy to still have gotten some Ghost Peppers, 7 Pot Primo and Carolina Reapers, but then i recognized grey dusty mold and dark spots on pretty much all of the peppers (2.5lb).

I already reached out to the seller, but maybe you can help me out here as well, I am not sure if the peppers gone bad or not, pics are available at: https://imgur.com/a/fV9Qr

Cheers!

Hopefully the seller rectifies the problem. Not sure if the grey is Alternaria but the ones that look rotten on the inside have it for sure. A few of the pods also look like they have the same bug induced virus a couple of my plants came down with this year. The plants are defolating with green spots on the ripening pods. I hope you get it worked out with the seller.

So I contacted the seller (who by the way is also a member of this forum) and he said that those grey dusty spots are soil, not dirt. If I may quote him: "We have a very fine soil here and when we, or our neighboring farm, cultivates while the ground is dry, it gets airborne and collects everywhere." To be fair, the package actually says that peppers need to be washed. Also he let me know that he will either refund me the peppers that really went bad (there were just a few of them) or will send me over fresh ones once I figured out how many did not survive the shipping.

So I washed pretty much half of the peppers by now (the ones that I want to freeze), the other half will be washed today once my starter culture for the fermentation arrives. So far I only had 4 peppers gone bad of about a 3/4 of a pound of peppers.

I feel like that the grey dust were really just dirt, actually it washed off quite easily (just running water and a paper towel), and opening some peppers before putting them into the Food Saver bag showed that mostly the ones that very obviously rotten in the pictures above, were bad. Some of them had seeds that were already or about about to turn black / brown and those smelled a little funky, but in total Half of the shipment (total shipment was 1lb of Bhut Jolokia, 12oz of Carolina reapers, 8oz 7 Pot Primo and 8oz Trinidad Scorpion Moruga) only had 5 of such bad peppers.

I'll try to make some pictures once i was the other half of the shipment.

I'm a dirt grower also. Now that you say that my pods always have dirt on them. It's also the reason I get soo many pods that are moldy on the inside. Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Back