• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NuMex varieties?

Maybe this question is too broad, but can somebody please provide an overview of some of the most popular numex peppers? I see a lot of different varieties (Big Jim, 6-4, etc.) and they even list the scoville rating, but I don't see many descriptions of the taste or other details. Can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance.

Lumbre (HOTTEST) but thin walled...Rated at around 10k scoville...The ones i grew from Midwestchilihead seeds are probably that hot or hotter. Its the only Anaheim ive ever seeded that made my hands burn.
Sandia Select (Almost as hot as Lumbre) thicker walls...Rated around 9k scoville

Big Jim is an excellent large mid heat Anaheim. If i was going to grow just one its highly worth considering....About 2.5k-4k max but sometimes less...Big Jim Heritage is a little hotter or more consistently hotter.

NuMex 6-4 and 6-4 Heritage are both mild with good flavor. Probably never see one over 1k-1.5k My 64s were even milder. Again the Heritage will be a tad hotter.

Greatly enjoyed the 6-4 Heritage from Sandia Seeds.
Lumbre are indeed quite toasty, and make good cooking peppers.
Most of my other NuMex efforts have failed due to adverse weather, bugs, or (and?) just plain inept gardening technique.  :/

I sun dried a sample batch of my Lumbre. Put them out again today just to be sure they are dried out. I will probably try making powder from this batch. If you use them for cooking they need quite a bit of cook time or they are tough. I used some green in a mixed green pepper hot sauce. They seem to be fine after a 45min simmer.

For roasting though they are quite thin. Sandia Select would be better. They are much thicker walled. Probably hard to beat a Big Jim for roasting.

Back