• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LED heat vs 315W LEC

This is not really a question from me. It's more of an observation. I'm looking any opinions.

Grow tents.... fixtures INSIDE.

Two fixtures compared >> An LED fixture (VIPARSPECTRA PAR 700) and a HydroFarm 315W CMh (LEC) fixture.

The VIPARSPECTRA PAR 700 specs show that is consumes 326 Watts.
The HydroFarm CMh specs show a 315 Watt consumption.

326 Watts vs 315 Watts..... close enough for me.

The VIPARSPECTRA is a self contained unit. The Power Supply and drivers  are inside of the fixture. Inside of the tent.

The HydroFarm 315W CMh has and "external" Power Supply (Ballast) which can be place outside of the grow tent.

Since the VIPARSPECTRA  has all of its internal power sources confined to the fixture, then all of the heat generated by its 326 watts will be introduced into the grow tent.

Since the HydroFarm CMh has an "external" ballast which can be placed outside of the tent, then it would seem that the HydroFarm CMh fixture would  introduce less heat into the tent.

So far, I have seen that the VIPARSPECTRA LED adds a LOT more heat into my tent than does the HydroFarm CMh setup (external ballast). Not scientific for sure.... so keep an open mind.

Happy Growing,

Jeff

This is perfect timing! I was debating CMH or LED and went LED as I sourced a screaming deal on one, but something from my old school reef exp keeps tugging me to try the CMH.
I feel like my tent runs pretty cool BUT my light (Meihzi 139w) is less than half of your true wattage, and i was contemplating either a second light to bring it to 300 or switching to CMH.

I cant offer much advice but I can compare as I think if I had another light (now pushing around 300watts) I would want to exhaust heat directly from the tops of the fixtures with some 4" and powerful pc fans or a dc inline for sounds sake. That or maybe splice the led driver and add a couple feet to put them out if the tent. I know my drivers tended to nearly match my leds in heat for my old reef tank.

Any differences so far in leaf texture or growth?

OoNickoC said:
This is perfect timing! I was debating CMH or LED and went LED as I sourced a screaming deal on one, but something from my old school reef exp keeps tugging me to try the CMH.
I feel like my tent runs pretty cool BUT my light (Meihzi 139w) is less than half of your true wattage, and i was contemplating either a second light to bring it to 300 or switching to CMH.

I cant offer much advice but I can compare as I think if I had another light (now pushing around 300watts) I would want to exhaust heat directly from the tops of the fixtures with some 4" and powerful pc fans or a dc inline for sounds sake. That or maybe splice the led driver and add a couple feet to put them out if the tent. I know my drivers tended to nearly match my leds in heat for my old reef tank.

Any differences so far in leaf texture or growth?

OoNickoC

Don't know how to highlight your text, but this is a great idea !  Yes this could work for me too, but if I cut into the "finished" product of the LED lamp I currently have, I won't be able to sell it... or maybe I can.

I have no doubt that removing generated heat before it even enters the tent is.... almost mandatory.  I like the idea of separating the driver from the light.

As for the plants and texture well I have no data at all. It does "seem" that the plants like the CMh, but truth be told I have no long term evidence to support or refute my own opinion. 

Just a note.... My personal goal is to create and environment the closely resembles the native/natural environment of the Super Hot Peppers.... 80's (degF) with Relative Humidity to match.. 80's %RH. So the more easily I can keep the heat down in the tent the better.  I have to keep the humidity high so direct venting is not working out very well.

Good luck with your new LED... keep me posted. Like o know how it works out for you.

Happy Growing,

Jeff

In the canna world (my home town), CMH is kind of top-dog right now. In theory, best setup would be HPS plus CMH, but thats hugely overkill for pepper plants.

I'm a big supporter of HPS, but if I were to ever venture out of that realm, or for something to pair it with, it would be CMH.

Just my opinion, though.

This is only in regard to growing performance based on light source, no other issues considered (heat, vent, elec., cost, etc).

Back