• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing in windowsill in off-season

Hey there!

I always miss my plants in the off-season, so I thought what if I'd grow some plants inside. The goal is just to have fun, while maybe growing a generation of a cross or something. Not expecting a shit load of pods, one pod would be already cool.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? What would I need to pay extra attention to? Any other tips?

Have a small plant in the windowsill, house temp around 74, sunlight from 8-1. Got 4 ripe peppers! It can definitely work. Just watch out for bugs and fungus. The lack of airflow can make it hard for them to pollinate, so you can diddle the buds or give it a gentle shake so it will self pollinate. 

SGuZjqs.jpg
here's the sill
gOfY6SU.jpg

That is exactly the result I'm hoping for! Awesome!

What kind of soil do you use? And what do you feed them? The same as you would outside?

Yeah I didn't fertilize it much, I kind of let it do it's thing. It's just soil from my backyard. I gave it a little bit of fish emulsion once a month. They grow super slow, that plant was sown in February and is only that big. 

Everything I've ever had in the window has had problems with fungal gnats but just putting a little fan on them seems to solve the problem.

Back