• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Reaper Indoor DWC

Hi Everyone!
I'm new here, new to growing peppers, but definitely not new to growing in general. I built a small hydro grow-box out of a wardrobe and have been using it for a couple years now. Due to space limitations, I can only grow 1 or 2 plants at a time, but I'm hooked. I've grown tomatoes, ground cherries, basil and some others and now I've decided to try my hand at peppers. I'm making this glog to show my progress and ask questions as well as get help from experts if anything seems off or needs fixing.

Since I always tend to believe "go big or go home" I decided to try my hand at growing a reaper! I'm not sure if I'll eat the fruit myself, but I do have several interested parties when they're ready.

I started the seeds in the 1st week of August and picked the fastest growing seedling. I get called crazy for this, but I plant them right in the clay pellets and have had good success with it. Here's the first baby picture taken on August 10: 
LEaVA4Q.jpg

Fast forward a week and you can see its first true leaf forming. Pic taken August 17th
PLPLsUL.jpg

Then 2 weeks later it's still growing well. The cotyledons have a bit of nute burn on them; I got a bit hasty adding a tiny amount of nutes. But as you can see, it's growing quite well otherwise. (That black spot on the leaf is actually a speck on my lens)
m8ozrCG.jpg

Another pic taken 2 days later:
9a6lEJe.jpg

5 Days later(Sept 9) Still lookin nice and healthy
EHRMkOq.jpg

And here's the most recent pic, taken Sept 16th
nlWp1Sd.jpg

Thanks!

Some more details: I'm using 2 100W white LEDs, the plants seem to love them. Right now it's at 650ppm and I'm letting the pH range between ~5.6 to 6.6, basically lower it to 5.6 and let it climb naturally to 6.6 and then lower it again. I'm letting the plant dictate the ppms. like if the number increases, that means they're drinking more water, so I'll lower the ppm, and if they go down, they're absorbing more nutrients so I raise the ppm. 

Here's a picture form today
JAs8l0b.png

I topped it yesterday to encourage it to be bushier, and got this pic of the growth tip today
82cyICh.jpg

We have flower buds!
6Kxh63y.jpg

I had some issues with leaves yellowing with black spots forming due to nutrient deficiencies in the past couple weeks, turns out my pH meter was calibrated wrong and reading high, so the nutes were too acidic. Got that all sorted out and the plant is looking healthy again!

Back