• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this a viable grow setup?

Hey guys, a lot of you here know a lot more about growing peppers than myself so I thought I'd ask a question. I have a little tent set up that I've attached to this post. I have a roughly 150w LED panel in there with no exhausts but passive air exchange. I'll probably stick a fan in there eventually for the sake of the stems, but is this even a viable setup to grow peppers in that would it actually be possible to go from seed to fruit in that tent, and if not what else would I need? Thanks in advance
pep - Copy.jpg

That will work just fine.

Only issue I can see is that you will eventually have a challenge with plant height and clearance to the LED.

I would advise a distance from top of leaves to light of at least 500mm to avoid sunburn.

The fan is also a strong recommendation not only for stems, but to maintain a even humidity (to avoid fungus,etc.)

Here's my setup

IMG_5894.jpg

Here is a Cayenne I took from seed through to fruit over winter - 100% under lights

Your Scorpion should be no different. Might need to play round with light on/off hrs when it gets to flowering stage but that's about it.

04q535d3_y3d.jpg

150W LED should be fine in that tent you have.  Maybe drop the lights lower and closer to the plants.  Watch out for those plants in the dome though.  They'll be cooked by tomorrow !

UK is getting into the winter cycle so you should have some nice cool air to feed into the tent.  Use a fan and an open window or something inexpensive. Be creative !!  Otherwise, don't worry about it too much  :P

Your peppers should do fine as long as you give them plenty of love..... and light, and nutes at the right time, room to grow ( up-size the pots as they get bigger). 

Last thought from me is that if you stick with the 150W LED, perhaps you should concentrate on ONE plant.... directly under your LED.  You can experiment with having a a tent full of other plants, but focus on the ONE plant in the center. 150W isn't a very powerful light, so you shouldn't expect to have your tent full of amazing plants. You could place some other types of plants that require less light around the focus plant, and you could have nice results.

Good luck to you !

Happy Growing !

Jeff

Okay thanks for the replies guys all very very helpful stuff. I have plenty of movement range on the light still and I'm not too worried about height as I'll train the plant from seed anyways. As for what's in the tent right now I have my seedlings chilling in the propagator and some basil growing in there while they come through, they're not necessarily permentant i just wanted to get some tight spacing to cut them back to after doing another stint on my windowsill. Following all of your advice I will stick a fan in, keep a close eye on temperatures make sure air exchange is all good. Nice to know peppers aren't as picky as other plants. Thanks again for all the advice it cleared up a lot of confusion!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good luck Dylan.

Just remember that a perfect environment for your peppers is an even more perfect environment for pests.
Keep an eye on (and under) your plants and nip them critters before they take over.
One last thing is not to overwater. Being in the tent they will dry out a lot slower and the urge to water is just terrible.

Elfeen said:
Hey guys, a lot of you here know a lot more about growing peppers than myself so I thought I'd ask a question. I have a little tent set up that I've attached to this post. I have a roughly 150w LED panel in there with no exhausts but passive air exchange. I'll probably stick a fan in there eventually for the sake of the stems, but is this even a viable setup to grow peppers in that would it actually be possible to go from seed to fruit in that tent, and if not what else would I need? Thanks in advance
attachicon.gif
pep - Copy.jpg

It looks alright, but you could should definitely add a fan and a humidifier, why?

With regards to humidity, you want to increase the water availability in the stomata-region of the leaf (the small openings), because you want to saturate the left-hand side of the photosynthetic reaction (1). If there are more available water molecules ready to be fixated to sugar, the photosynthesis increases.

Photosynthesis:
Light + 6CO2 + 6H2O -> C6H12O6 + O2                             (1)

The same argument applies to adding a fan. If the air velocity increases, the collision of the molecules increases and the chance of the two molecules - carbon dioxide and water increases, hence, the photosynthesis increases. The relationship can be seen in figure 1. The effect increases rapidly at first and then levels off, meaning that a small fan can have a large effect and the effect does not necessarily increase with increased air velocity (or more fans). In fact, many fans can create mechanical damage to the plant.

https://postimg.org/image/98raieljd7/

Figure 1. The effect of air current speed on the net photosynthetic rate (under subpicture) and the transpiration rate (above subpicture) levels off at about 0.5 m/s (Kitaya et al., 2000). The effect could arguably be sufficient at even lower velocities than 0.5 m/s, based on the slope.

I would also suggest moving to hydro or aeroponics rather than using soil. I buy most of my stuff maxgrowshop.com (living in europe).

//Lenny

Back