• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Interesting Bhut hybrid

This is the second time one of my ghosts from this nursery has been a hybrid.

These look interesting this time.
8WgYfTb.jpg

These are larger thin finger long/size pods.

nZhzccM.jpg

Had a very late plant this year due to a very cold wet spring, so the pods are late too. Only starting to get some with a blush. Will update after I get some ripes.

Okay got a ripe.

vhz7aKi.jpg

6vjSHIJ.jpg

SLDfmTR.jpg

7ymNII3.jpg

It has a strong habanero taste to it, but lacks the "sour" edge habaneros tend to have. It also has a fruity flavor, but no Bhut "bitter" edge. Definitely has habanero in it, not 100% sure it has any ghost, since it's heat is very low.  

qandeel said:
Thanks for sharing this. What are these peppers?

They are a hybrid I bought as a Ghost pepper plant from a nursery. Seems to be mixed with an orange habanero, and has a mild heat. So not so sure it even has a ghost pepper side.

Hey, DaQuatz, I'm up in Penobscot County, and I've never seen any nurseries with the real good stuff (though I loved a Mucho Nacho Jalapeno I got one year, produced about 200 peppers!)

Is this from a nursery in Somerset County, by any chance?  I know a guy who told me they have ghost, reaper, and scorpion plants available at some nursery, but I've never been down there.  I have to start all mine from seed, which can give you a mixed bag with our season.  I'm just now starting to get a good yield on my 7 pot plants!  Trinidad scorpions have been my best superhot from seed up here.

HabaneroBeets said:
Hey, DaQuatz, I'm up in Penobscot County, and I've never seen any nurseries with the real good stuff (though I loved a Mucho Nacho Jalapeno I got one year, produced about 200 peppers!)

Is this from a nursery in Somerset County, by any chance?  I know a guy who told me they have ghost, reaper, and scorpion plants available at some nursery, but I've never been down there.  I have to start all mine from seed, which can give you a mixed bag with our season.  I'm just now starting to get a good yield on my 7 pot plants!  Trinidad scorpions have been my best superhot from seed up here.

No this plant was from a nursery in Rollingsford NH "Wentworth Greenhouses" Last number of years they have had Ghost plants, but nothing more exotic then that. Mind you their seed producers isolation seems to be done poorly since I often get mixes from them pretty often. And the "Sweet Banana" peppers turned out to be "Hungarian Hot Wax" instead.

It's definitely got a bhut shape.

One of my favorite peppers ever is a BhutxLemon drop. It's not killing the SHU scale either.

So, that very well could be some sort of bhut cross.

Habaneros and Bhuts are both chinense so it's no wonder it tastes like a baby/bhut.

Back