• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Last Dab Hotsauce n Pepper X

First let me say I have no real opinion because I don't know a thing about marketing.  The closest I come to an opinion is a slack jawed blank stair into the distance.  I am completely and totally confused on this one.  OK, lets sum up.

Puckerbutt Pepper company developed a pepper called "Pepper X".  It is a really cool looking green pepper that kind of looks like some of the gator jigsaw peppers.  Reportedly, it hits more than 3 million SHU.  There are very few photos of the pepper.  Neither fresh peppers nor seeds are available for sale. 

The Last Dab Hot Sauce is reportedly made with Puckerbutt's Pepper X, but not by Puckerbutt.  The stuff runs $20.00 a bottle when it is available, but is often out of stock.

At twenty dollars a bottle and often sold out, obviously they are marketing it well.  But why wouldn't Puckerbutt have created the first sauce with their new pepper?  Why aren't there more photos of the pepper or any of the plant that I can find?  It all seems so very cloak and dagger / spy vs. spy.  How does the marketing strategy work?  Does secret sell? 

Could it be about exclusivity?

Less cloak and dagger and more smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

Bust out an odd looking unstable cross next year. Call it "test pod 75u4b" charge $40 a box, betcha they sell.

I doubledog dare ya, AJ?

A video was posted by First We Feast just in the past couple of days providing some more details - not many more - while advertising their hot sauce that's made with this "Pepper X". What I find curious in this clip is that there is some immature, green pods - but also pods are the turd color that is apparently the final color (based on past talk and the original clip where he had one in a hotel room some months back) -and- brown pods.. The shapes seem rather consistent, but two distinct mature colors? I've not heard of pods maturing from green > mustard/turd > brown or green > brown > mustard/turd.. so what's up with that?

Also in the clip they claim this is first public display of the pods, but again - I distinctly recall the clip months ago where he showed off one - even if the clip wasn't the best quality. Sadly, at this point I can't seem to find that clip on either Puckerbutt's Facebook account or Ed's YouTube channel.. so maybe they took it down?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCYX0esYlo[/media]

From what the people in the video said, I think I get it and I am absolutely amazed.  People in line to buy hot sauce, uh wow.  People signing bottles of hot sauce?  I had absolutely no idea.  Reminds me of when Windows (was it 95?) first went on sale at midnight or when tickets to Star Wars 1 went on sale.

So now I think the conversation moves to how?  I have had some damn fine sauce from folk here at THP.  How does one sauce company get lines of people to buy a new sauce while other fine sauces dont have lines to buy?  What is the difference between a six dollar bottle of hot sauce and a twenty dollar bottle of hot sauce?

Again, not trashing on anyone or any industry.  Just want to understand.

hogleg said:
Less cloak and dagger and more smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

Bust out an odd looking unstable cross next year. Call it "test pod 75u4b" charge $40 a box, betcha they sell.

I doubledog dare ya, AJ?

I'm telling you, it is AJ's Magical Unicorn Toe Pepper.  Unfortunately, to be an authentic AJ's Magical Unicorn Toe Pepper it has to grow on top of one of my toes.  So far, I only have three plants.  Now I know what you are thinking.  I have seven more toes.  Thing is, each time one is removed I am rolling in debt.  That 20% really adds up.  So I have to charge extra for the official toe peppers. 

That is why we also offer AJ's Magical Unicorn Pepper (no toe).  Same heat but you dont get any authentic AJ in the pepper.

A.J. - Its in the pepper!

AJ Drew said:
From what the people in the video said, I think I get it and I am absolutely amazed.  People in line to buy hot sauce, uh wow.  People signing bottles of hot sauce?  I had absolutely no idea.  Reminds me of when Windows (was it 95?) first went on sale at midnight or when tickets to Star Wars 1 went on sale.

So now I think the conversation moves to how?  I have had some damn fine sauce from folk here at THP.  How does one sauce company get lines of people to buy a new sauce while other fine sauces dont have lines to buy?  What is the difference between a six dollar bottle of hot sauce and a twenty dollar bottle of hot sauce?

Again, not trashing on anyone or any industry.  Just want to understand.
In my opinion it's no different than when the repear was crowned king of the peppers or every time apple or samsung come out with a new version of phone. Everyone has to be the "cool kid" and rush out to get it because it has a new button on it. Take it from a very uncool kid still sporting a S3...people do it due to delusions of grandeur.

Biggy said:
In my opinion it's no different than when the repear was crowned king of the peppers or every time apple or samsung come out with a new version of phone. Everyone has to be the "cool kid" and rush out to get it because it has a new button on it. Take it from a very uncool kid still sporting a S3...people do it due to delusions of grandeur.

Might be one of the reasons I grow peppers.  I can play with the latest new toy for five or ten bucks in seeds.  Not a horribly expensive hobby until you go ape shit in volume.

AJ Drew said:
The Last Dab Hot Sauce is reportedly made with Puckerbutt's Pepper X, but not by Puckerbutt.  The stuff runs $20.00 a bottle when it is available, but is often out of stock.

I believe that the sauce is being made by PuckerButt, but is a Heatonist exclusive in collaboration with Hot Ones. Apparently the out of stock is due to the limited quantity of ripe peppers available to make the sauce. They released 1000 bottles last week and sold out in 3 mins or something insane like that. I think they just put it back in stock today.

AJ Drew said:

Being featured on the Hot Ones show. You wouldn't believe how many everyday people at shows ask me if I watch that show, or advise me to send them our sauces. Their videos get 2,000,000+ views on YouTube.

AJ Drew said:
 How does one sauce company get lines of people to buy a new sauce while other fine sauces dont have lines to buy?

You know how it was with those "as seen on TV" stuff people were crazy to get their hands on?
Nowadays it is "As seen on YouTube"

That company basically got famous on youtube and that's it. Now there are thousands of hotsauceheads that have no clue on hot peppers

Now I am starting to figure this here thing out.  The Hot Ones is a youtube thing which is essentially marketing the Last Dab.  That really didn't occur to me because I thought their thing was reviewing hot sauces.  Normally, a reviewer does not sell a product that thy review. 

"Hot Ones" does have a faint bit of "reviewing", but the focus point of their show is interviewing celebrities, etc. The hot sauces are the gimmick behind getting the interviewees to open up as each episode progresses by the heat level increaing with each wing they try. Some interviewees do comment on the hot sauces along the way - and some I've seen are surprisingly quite experienced and knowledgeable on peppers & hot sauces.

In their line-up they have had a hot sauce brand of their own for a while now, and now this one "The Last Dab" is their second hot sauce under their branding. If I understand correctly from the episodes they collaborate with "Heatonist" in the distribution, while partnering with another company on actually developing their brand of hot sauces. In terms of this new one I'm guessing they used that same sauce maker, but have collaborated with PuckerButt for use of their new pepper for, well, obvious marketing purposes.

Even though this "Hot Ones" is on YouTube it essentially is a tv show - albeit it doesn't conform to specific rules regarding episode lengths, etc. It's one "show" under the "First We Feast" channel on YouTube, where they have others, as well.

Super Hots Canada said:

Even though this "Hot Ones" is on YouTube it essentially is a tv show - albeit it doesn't conform to specific rules regarding episode lengths, etc. It's one "show" under the "First We Feast" channel on YouTube, where they have others, as well.

Absolutely amazing.  I knew about the Youtube micro famers, but had no clue something produced that well was a youtube show.  I've only seen a few clips here and there but from what I have see I thought very professional.  I think I am going to think of their show and their hot sauce kind of like a golf channel that sells its own clubs.

Back