• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kambuzi pepper

In my search for a cool Frutescens, I stumbled upon the Kambuzi pepper. Apparently, it's a cultivar found in Malawi and has a flavor similar to a Habanero. In the other topic I made, people mentioned that Frutescens generally lack a nice flavor, so this might be interesting. It also has a quite different shape than other Frutescens.

Has anyone here grown this pepper? What did you think? 

I'm also looking for seeds for this one!

Would you mind letting me know if you find a good seed source for this? It'd be really cool to have a decent frutescens.

This seems like a really nice variety

cmpman1974 said:
That is not even remotely a frutescens. :)  Wrong calyx.  I'd like to see the flower to confirm,. but it really doesn't even seem close.

Chris

Came to say the same thing

cmpman1974 said:
That is not even remotely a frutescens. :)  Wrong calyx.  I'd like to see the flower to confirm,. but it really doesn't even seem close.

Chris

austin87 said:

Came to say the same thing

That's another disappointment in my quest for a cool Frutescens. It was listed as one in this source. I quote:

La variété Capsicum frutescens est une espèce de chili pepper qui inclut différentes variétés et cultivars : piri-piri, tabasco pepper, Thai pepper, Kambuzi pepper, African Bird’s Eye ou African devil.

"The Capsicum Frutescens variety is a species of pepper that includes different varieties and cultivars: piri-piri, tabasco pepper, Thai pepper, Kambuzi pepper, African Bird's Eye and African devil."

I still hope to find an extraordinary variety of Frutescens one day.

Frutescens or not, it certainly looks nice! :)

b3rnd said:
In my search for a cool Frutescens, I stumbled upon the Kambuzi pepper. Apparently, it's a cultivar found in Malawi and has a flavor similar to a Habanero. In the other topic I made, people mentioned that Frutescens generally lack a nice flavor, so this might be interesting. It also has a quite different shape than other Frutescens.

Has anyone here grown this pepper? What did you think? 

I'm also looking for seeds for this one!

Did you got any seed? I suppose you quit after founding out that is not a Frutescens. In fact is a Chinense  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kambuzi

I made a post here about this http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52789-my-pepper-wishlist/  post #14 . Still trying to get soome seeds... 

That looks a lot like the size and shape of a Malawi Piquant or Peppadew , just orange.
Looks like a Baccatum.

Back