• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

C. Flexuosum frost resistance

Hey guys,

I've read that C. Flexuosum has a considerable resistance to frost, compared to other members of the Capsicum genus. Has anyone ever tried to make a cross with a Chinese to make a more cold resistant super hot, for example? I'd like to try this for sure. Seems like an interesting project.

I'm not certain, but it seems that Flexuosum isn't compatible with Chinense (or annuums/frutescens/baccatum for that matter) for breeding.

It would certainly be an undertaking even if some hybrids managed to be viable because it's a difficult trait to select for. Many factors can influence frost tolerance.

Might be easier to just try a bunch of crazy annuum or chinense crosses and see which ones die last every year and keep growing out seeds from the best survivors.

Peter_L said:
I'm not certain, but it seems that Flexuosum isn't compatible with Chinense (or annuums/frutescens/baccatum for that matter) for breeding.

It would certainly be an undertaking even if some hybrids managed to be viable because it's a difficult trait to select for. Many factors can influence frost tolerance.

Might be easier to just try a bunch of crazy annuum or chinense crosses and see which ones die last every year and keep growing out seeds from the best survivors.

You mean recurrent selection? too hard, just grab the craziest looking peppers and show everybody how weird they look /s

Back