• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Smoking frozen peppers

I have a couple of pounds of peppers in the freezer. I was wondering about smoking some of them. Is it better to smoke peppers before freezing them or will thawed out previously frozen peppers smoke up fine. These peppers will be for sauce. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
I have a couple of pounds of peppers in the freezer. I was wondering about smoking some of them. Is it better to smoke peppers before freezing them or will thawed out previously frozen peppers smoke up fine. These peppers will be for sauce. Thanks for the replies.

I'd advise against smoking them, capsaicin can irritate the lungs. That said, thawed ones would probably be easier both to roll up and to light.

But yea I've smoked frozen peppers before to use in both sauce and powder, after impatiently thawing them via microwave. Couldn't really notice a different flavor from fresh

Smoke them before freezing.  Every time all the time.  If at all possible remove the skins before freezing to save yourself extra prep time later. 

Frozen peppers are basically already "cooked" due to the freezing.  They'll take on some smoke, but it won't be like if you smoke roasted them.  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Not required but the skin is waxy and many times in roasting big peppers like bells, you place them in a bag to allow the skin to be peeled easily. 
Do you recommend skinning cayenne and jalapeños?

Pepper always get mushier when frozen, if they are smoked they are cooked, so expect them to get even mushier when thawed for use. If making sauce, really it means nothing. If for other use, let us know.

Should be good to go. You may want to cut them in half and deseed, and then when you vac seal, you can store in sheets as they flatten when sealed. That is if you have a sealer.

Thanks D3.
Smoked batch #1 I used a mix of maple and cherry. It has really good flavor and smokiness to it. Batch #2,I used cherry and peach, it don’t have as much smoke flavor or color as I would have liked. Note to self( use more wood Dumbo).

Back