• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Problem with first batch

So I am in the process of making my first batch however, 2 weeks into fermenting a white opaque layer with green specks (peppers are green so maybe that) formed. It doesn't look fuzzy enough to be mold, plus I was able to remove the entire layer at once with just my 2 fingers. It also doesn't look like kahm yeast based on pictures I've seen online. I changed the lid and now open it daily to release gas(was using a coffee filter with rubber bands before) and moved it to a colder room. Does anyone know what that stuff was and if I should throw out the batch.

Attachments

• IMG4923.jpg
    IMG4923.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 81
Yeah, I don't know why some people/recipes are always telling everyone to cover with cheesecloth or whatever to let air in.  That is the opposite of what you want to do.

As far as the mold, it's hard to tell without seeing it in person.  Usually, if it the rest of it smells and looks fine, then it should be good.  But, I am hesitant to give that advice to a first timer.

I believe the "cheesecloth" usage is recommended only at the beginning of a fermentation when gases are most active, so if you not using an airlock you don't have to burp it 3 times a day. I'm considering trying to use a cloth or something myself because sometimes I come home and find them so pressurized it seeps out of the lid.

Jubnat said:
Yeah, but if it's going to seep out of the lid, it's going to seep out through the cheesecloth.
When I burp the jars the mash falls back down, so that's not necessarily right if gas is being released. Regardless, we are all supposed to be using weights anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back