• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What kind of peppers are these?

I purchased this plant at a local store and it was labeled as a Bird's Eye/Thai plant.  However, now that the peppers are ripening I'm starting to think it's something completely different.  The peppers are small and round, not long and slender as thai peppers usually are.  They do have heat to them, but not a lot at all when compared to say a Habanero.  The plant is covered with these things and I'm not sure what to do with them or what variety they even are.
Dq57515.jpg

GQJba7K.jpg

XgDD4fk.jpg

xJu2PMa.jpg

Edmick said:
It's a beautiful plant nonetheless. Nice growth.

Thanks, I love the look of it too, it's rather unique.  All of my neighbors who see it ask what it is because they have no idea it's even a pepper plant.  I only bought it maybe 2 months ago, and it wasn't even half that filled out.  The thing is growing really well with just standard potting soil and no additional fertilizers (yet).

ALLCAPS said:

After having to lookup what those are (I'm new to the pepper world), I think you may be 100% right.  Even the flowers look identical to the ones that were growing on my plant.  Kind of a shame, I guess I'll have to look into what I can to with Chiltepins now.  Thanks for the help!
Yeah, and a tip for next time, take pictures of the flowers too. It can really help identifying between species.

I grow several varieties of Chiltepin.  Last year I grew some Hermosillo Chiltepin along with some other varieties.  The pods were hot and tasty but what I did not like was that the ripe pod does not easily come off when pulled.  It would take two hands to remove each pod of this variety.  If the ripe pods of this chiltepin does not easily pull off like most chiltepin varieties, this could be the variety that you have.  Most other varieties you wonder what keeps them from falling off the plant because they pull off with the slightest pull.

Back