• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Could not find my sorghum until after the batch was bottled...

I made a batch of my Carolina Reaper sauce, but found I had misplaced my sorghum. Thinking it was lost, I put all the sauce into glass bottles but did not seal the caps. So, I have a dozen bottles of liquidy sauce. (Ingredients + 64 oz of sauce and a cup of vinegar to make 12, 5oz bottles). 

Then...I found the sorghum!

Should I add a bit of sorghum to each bottle, shake and pray?

Or would it be better to pour out all the bottles back into a pan and reheat, and then add sorghum again?

How much sorghum would you add to 60 oz of already boiled down sauce?

Help!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, KokiaHot! 

The Hot Pepper said:
:welcome:

Sorghum flour or actual sorghum?

Yankee question!  ;)

Sorghum pretty much always means sorghum ‘syrup’ in the south. If the flour or grain is used it would be specified unless it was clearly implicit in whatever was being discussed, such as a specific application or recipe, etc. 'Sorghum' down here is synonymous with syrup.

Just found this link … good read. Wish they had some sorghum (syrup) festivals around here (we do have livermush/pudding festivals though… :cool: ) 

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/life/columnists/doris-reynolds/2017/09/27/lets-talk-food-its-sorghum-cookin-time-deep-south/687703001/

ha!
thanks. I did know about the syrup as well but since the goal was thickening my mind when to flour.

KokiaHot said:
Stupid me. Xantham gum. Not Sorghum.

A small amount of xanthan gum thickens quite a bit of liquid.  I recommend pouring all the sauce back into one big pot, heating to temp then adding the xanthan gum to desired thickness, then re-bottling at temp for hot fill/hold method.

I say this because I would imagine trying to add tiny (like 1/4 gram?) increments to individual bottles would be a pita.  With a whole 60 oz batch like you've got it won't take much - maybe a 1/4 tsp for the whole batch?  You've got to be careful as too much will make the sauce have an odd sorta slimey mouth feel.

Oh yeah - have to re-sanitize the bottles before filling too just to be safe.  :)

Yep... what ^^^ SnF said!

Empty the bottles into the pot, wash/sanitize the bottles, maybe use new caps????, and after the xanthan is added to the sauce, do a proper Hot Fill/Hold.  

Gently sprinkle the xanthan while hwhisking or using a boat motor (immersion stick blender ;)  ).

Have Fun!!!
SL

Back