• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Butt Burners ???

If you have been eating or cooking with super hots chances are you know what I am talking about.  Sometimes they burn coming out as well as going in.  Question is: Which variety do it the most?  It just occurred to me that there has gotta be the variety rather than the heat of a dish cause I haven't gotten the butt burn yet this year but I have been eating plenty of Moruga.  Growing green, red, caramel, brown and Brizilian.  Been trying to compare fresh and in dishes to be able to describe the taste difference.  Some dishes have driven family members from the kitchen, but no butt burns.

So what variety set your butt on fire more than others?

For me I feel like it's the food. Mexican food, no matter how spicy, never seems to bother me. Thai and Indian have whipped me on the way out when I thought it wasn't hot enough going in. Chili (as in chili con carne) has torn me up. Food that I cook that is spicy doesn't seem to bother me as much as some restaurants, even though it is much, much hotter.

***racking my brain to see if there is a common pepper that does or doesn't make my backside burn, and I can't put my finger on anything specific***

I can put super hot powder on my food all day but if I throw Louisiana on my hummus I have a long morning in the bathroom

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It's generally about how digested it is more than anything but that hummus sounds like a different problem. Mushy food combined with acidic liquid, I don't think it's the heat that's bothing you.

Crispee-FL said:
I think it may have to do with the amount of whole seeds in a dish which remain undigested on their way out. Hot Thai food always gets me but I still love it.
You beat me to it.. for me its absolutely the seeds even if I have a pizza with jalapeños that are not very hot the seeds still get me. Yet I can eat the kick ass wings from the local pub (using reaper and scorpion paste) with no afterburn at all.

I tend to consider myself pretty resistant to the "second round" of burning, but for me it's definitely the quantity of spicy food - not the quantity of capsaicin - that causes a burn on the way out. A surface area ratio for the potential of undigested food touching... sensitive skin...

If I eat 7 or 8 whole fresh jalapeños in a day, I'm going to get burnt, but I've had 3 or 4 habaneros in a day mixed with food and there was no problem. Even eating 2 fresh habaneros (way more than the capsaicin in 8 jalapeños) in a day doesn't feel bad at the end; although, I can feel abdominal discomfort as they slowly get digested if not taken with food. Hot wings never get me either.

I get a similar thing as austin87 does. I think it's because Mexican food is more little pockets of intense spice in toppings and Thai food is "OMG I have 10 bird's eye chilies floating in my soup..."

Baby wipes with aloe. :D
0c13d7b3-8cc9-4303-9fdd-8c5f06523ddd_1.1db52f0d152f78c295fac724473b9a1a.jpeg

I agree that it might have something to do with seeds in it. Theres a Mexican place by me that has amazing hot sauce but its kinda seedy and it destroys me every time. But it's just so damn good. lol. +1 on the aloe baby wipes though. I think we should develop a pepper head travel case! The contents would consist of a refillable bottle for your favorite sauce, latex gloves, pepto bismol, aloe baby wipes and a pack of matches to strike one up when you roost the toilet in public.

Back