• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CAPCOMS COCOA GROW 2018

Yes, I am so interested in putting 2017 behind that I am looking forward to 2018 this much.
I will be throwing a knuckle ball going into 2018.
I am procuring seed from reliable sources only and will be implementing various isolation methods as to continue a sound seed stock for future seasons.
I am also going to visit several chili head bros beginning this fall and spend some quality time talking the shop we all enjoy.
I will also be looking into some new nitrification processes as the one I have been using the past two years has let me down big time.
I will also be cutting back for the first time on my grow quantities. If I end up with 50 plants, that will be a lot! And all plants will be grown in 15 gal pots minimum.

Starting to formulate my list with,

Judys Brown Moruga
Bhutlah DM
Bhutlah SM
CPR from 2017
Chocolate Reaper
Chocolate Primo
Kracken Scorpion
7Pot Burgundy (the only non chocolate)
Chocolate MaddBalls
Chocolate Bhut
Chocolate Devils Tongue
Chocolate BBG
Chocolate Scorpion
Chocolate 7 Pot
Chocolate Fatalii
And that's just off the top of my head, I am sure more additions will follow.

Bhuter said:
Judys Brown Moruga has been on my grow list the last 3 or 4 years. I love that variety. Its definitely an intimidating beast. Great list! I love chocolates, as well. Definitely some heat there.

Judys brown moruga was my 1st date with capsaicin induced endorphins. They make some of the best powders. They also work well with chocolate blend powders.

qandeel said:
Lots of chocolates. Wishing you all the best for 2018 grow season. But why 15 gal pots minimum?

Because when I started growing around 5 years ago I was told to go big as I could for a container grow. I ignored for several reasons that advice and learned over the years that it was sound advice I should have adhered to. If I could afford 30 gal containers and the media to fill them, I would do so in a heart beat.

HUGE score today!!!

I picked up 5 4x8 hydroponic flood trays for 125.00!!!

20171022_215607.jpg

5 flood trays still in shipping wrap.

The grow room is going to take on a whole different look this year.
My room is roughly 110 sq feet. The flood tables will occupy 64 sq feet.

I used 15 gallon pots this year, the local nursery sells used ones for 5 bucks a piece.my peppers did good in them, only one tomato plant did good though, I think I had early blight, or just not enough soil, I'm gonna do raised beds for tomatoes next year

peppamang said:
15 gal? Wow that seems huge. How big do your plants usually get? Nice list btw!

Not as big as they should have in "17" but I will make the necessary changes in "18". Will still need some cooperation from MN though. I should have small trees this year. I had some 5 footers last year in 7.5 gal pots

You are hopefully going to document the process of setting up and usage of these things. Many thanks.

CAPCOM said:
HUGE score today!!!

I picked up 5 4x8 hydroponic flood trays for 125.00!!!

attachicon.gif
20171022_215607.jpg

5 flood trays still in shipping wrap.

The grow room is going to take on a whole different look this year.
My room is roughly 110 sq feet. The flood tables will occupy 64 sq feet.

I am not growing hydroponically. I got them so I can water, feed and flush the entire grow and catch all run off and or drain off nutrients which used to go on to the table and floor if at all. Grows in the past suffered because I could not saturate the media efficiently.

Trident chilli said:
Shaggy a must for your Brown's next season are the Cappuccino SB, Justin Whites Bahamian Beast and Franks Sweet Moruga SB more than willing to send you seed of these

What are they like? I will be doing a limited grow in "18"and must be selective, very selective.

Well. The 2017 grow is officially over as temps have dipped into the mid 30°s the last 2 nights. Hopefully the rain will hold off for a few days so I can get my grow containers emptied and stacked for the winter. Pricing saw horse brackets, 2x4s and plywood for this years grow tables. I will be removing the shelving that has supported my grow for the past several years And adding the sawhorse supported plywood approx 10"-12" off the floor and topped with the 4'x8' hydro flood trays. Still looking at a max of 50 plants. I may plant on Thanksgiving day which will give me 6 month old plants by Mothers Day.

Well I found a packing slip of sorts on my flood tables. Went to their website and.....

https://www.hydrotekhydroponics.com/grow-systems-trays-reservoirs/x-trays-classic-flood-table-4-x-8-black-141112

I emptied many of my 15 gal containers and tarped the media til spring. Had to leave the others filled. I will be looking for a huge container for future media storage and amending. Later tonight I will be working in the grow room getting it ready for planting next month. still do not have a definitive plan so it kind of a by the seat of the pants project. been thinking of getting a screen door for the room to aid in dissipating humidity after watering/feeding. Will soon have to start looking into a new lighting system as my existing one is going into its 5th year.

The grow ahead is in theory going to be more successful that those in the past for a couple of reasons. first, I am limiting it to 50 plants. much of last years problems occurred when getting really close to plant out(which may also have forced my hand in attempting to rush the season) as the plants seemed to really be taking off in growth but could not stretch out because of close confines. 50 plants in 1 gal containers should fit nicely in a 4x8 flood table. I may pick up an RO unit that I can attach to the spigot in my room thus have a fresh source of 0 PPM water.

Not all my grow starts from last year made it into 15 gal containers. A 1 gal start that was left to the side was taken inside today to give it a 2nd chance to amount to something. Chocolate Naglah was on the marker. Maybe this is an omen as it may take part in a future project if other plans fall through. This make only the 2nd plant to come in for the winter beside my Bonchi 7 pot burgundy project. That by the way is starting to send out tons of new growth.

Actually had a little time this weekend to go over seed and start planning 18

Chocolate Naglah
Anyone have a really good one?

Still looking for Chocolate Primo *
Chocolate 7 pot *
Chocolate Fatalii *

* the ones I have grown really haven't measured up and could be better.

One of many upcoming busy weekends. moving flood tables down to the grow room and getting primary setup going. I really think these will make a huge difference in the next 4 months. They will provide much needed room between plants and allow me to water and or feed without the worry of runoff or seepage from flushing. Plan is to plant on BLACK FRIDAY. This will be my earliest and most aggressive start. Planned grow is still 50 plants but I may grow a bumper of the same just in case. My biggest worry at this time is, can I sustain the grow til Mothers Day in 1 gal containers? I planted last year in February and the plants were ready to bust out and in crowded conditions. Although I dont like to, I may be forced to implement a pruning regiment to halt excessive growth.

Found some aphids on my wasabi, whooooo, I'm sooooo scared! They might get to my pepper plants. 

I may be more scared of the big bad aphids then I let on earlier.

Although I have never observed them in person and or purchased them, I may have a species of parasitic wasp in my grow room right now. Unfortunately I am unable at present to procure a sharp enough pic to post for peer confirmation. On my wasabi that spent the summer outside in the shade and among the aphid population present on the underside of their leaves are multiple spherical cyst like pods that some on close observation appear to have leg like appendages attached. I will be watching very closely over the next several days.

I just received a very thoughtful Christmas card from the UK with some very interesting seed additions.
Thank You John!

Judys Brown Moruga
Bhutlah DM
Bhutlah SM
CPR from 2017
Chocolate Reaper
Chocolate Primo
Kracken Scorpion
7Pot Burgundy (the only non chocolate)
Chocolate MaddBalls
Chocolate Bhut
Chocolate Devils Tongue