• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pumpkin Puree

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good recipie with ghost peppers and pumpkin purée. I just harvested about 20 ghost peppers, half regular and half Peach. Was wondering if anybody had a nice fall recipie that includes some pumpkin purée? :)

Oh, yes! I gotta get on the other computer to copy it. Original recipe was from thp member Rocketman.

Brb....

If I recall, this recipe was kind of thick, we thinned it with red wine one time and amber beer another time.  The fresno chiles are a lower heat chile and added a good amount of bulk.  Adjust the amount of chiles down if using hotter peppers.  The pumpkin is a thickener like carrots, apples or yams.   

[SIZE=14pt]Pumpkin Hot Sauce- Hot[/SIZE]
1 can processed Pumpkin (~2 pounds pumpkin puree if making your own)
5 # red Peppers (Fresno)

[SIZE=14pt]2 bags Dried Cranberries (those dehydrated sweetened snack things)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]10 oz fresh Sweet Onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]4 oz fresh Garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]6-8 leaves of fresh Sage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2 cups balsamic vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 tsp Sea salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Beer or wine to cover and thin to desired consistency[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]​Rocketman's original recipe was fermented.  We've made this as a fresh sauce a few times in some hot sauce classes that I've hosted and it's been well received.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Have fun!!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]SL [/SIZE]

edit- using 20 ghosts instead of the 5# fresnos listed in the above recipe will make a really spicy sauce.  And the bulk of the sauce will be reduced by not using the 5 # of fresno chiles.  Maybe add some orange bell peppers, tomatoes, or some combination of such to add some bulk to the sauce and reduce the overall heat a bit. with the 20 bhuts.

Have Fun!

If you like Indian curries, you could add a teaspoon or so of garam masala to your pumpkin hot sauce. It really makes the flavor of the pumpkin pop!

I say pumpkin pie. I'd dehydrate the peppers and grind them to powder, then use them as part of your spice mix in your fave recipe. Make sure to serve with whipped cream!!!!!! :)

I recently had some fatalii lemon cupcakes............  the cupcakes won...

and they were freaking delicious!

The Hot Pepper said:
I say pumpkin pie. I'd dehydrate the peppers and grind them to powder, then use them as part of your spice mix in your fave recipe. Make sure to serve with Hwhipped cream!!!!!! :)
fify~  ;)

I could envision a spicy pumpkin pie, like the lemon Fatalii cheesecake JustAGuy has posted and the lemon Fatalii cupcakes that Crushers' Lovely brought to our campout. 

Back