• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dark Patches on leaves? Is this okay?

The title speaks for itself. The plant is Cayenne X Bhut, so I don't think it's foliage is meant to be black/purple. I have two plants of that variety/cross, but only one has the patches. Any way, here's the photos.

1507005872890185158033.jpg

1507005894930765446526.jpg

1507005912998-97534615.jpg

So, should I be concerned? It's the only plant behaving this way, hasnt had any pests that I know of. It's about 8 weeks old, spent in jiffy until about a week ago. The patches developed while in jiffy pellet in close proximity to other plants. No other plants show visible signs, nor does other plant of same variety.

That's about all the info I've got to it, ask any questions and I'll try to answer them. Just want to know.if I should be concerned. Thanks, TBG

It'll probably recover but to me it looks like sun scald. only reason  I say that is cuz I had some bhuts years ago that I didn't harden off and they looked the same.

Don't think it's Sun scald, they've been growing inside under lights. Could be the light has burnt them, but none of the other plants are showing signs, and a few of them are close to the light. But thanks anyway!

By sun scald I also mean being too close to the light. I could totally be wrong but that's what it appears to be to me. Whatever it is, it's obviously not normal. But as long as the new growth is coming in healthy, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. That solar blanket you have around them is cool but they can cause problems with seedlings. Think about a magnifying glass in the sun.. They can cause concentrations of light that burn sensitive foliage.

Hi TBG

Best I could find is either the plant was subject to a very cold spell, or it might have phosphorus deficiency, or it's a gentic thing.

New growth looks fine +1 so wait it out and see.

+1 for sun scald. Plant probably got a little too close to the lights. Don't worry about it at all, new growth looks fine.

Plants look nice and healthy, TBG. Don't overthink it, and let them "do their thing" ;) We're rooting for you

I'm a bit sceptical to sun scald. Could be something else.

The thing with sun scald is that it's usually caused by UV radiation. The UV you get under grow lights is really negligible in comparison to the sun, so usually it's impossible to cause the sun damage indoors.

Otherwise you of course have temperature-related burn, but this you could use a thermometer to rule out. If the temperature isn't above 90F at the leaves with the lights and plant at the same locations when it got burnt, I don't see how it could be that either.

It doesn't need to be a problem however. It could just be some temporary quirk they grow out of, where you might never actually diagnose the specific cause. This is probably a moment where I would move them a bit into the shade, let them relax and see if the problem gets worse. If it doesn't I would consider it fine.

Cheers! Temps are no way near that high, so I don't think it's temperature scalding. Makes sense what you said about the UV from the lights, or lack thereof, So I guess we'll wait and see. What stumps me is that this is the only plant with any symptoms, and it isn't even the closest to the light.

Back